Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big hole in my collection that I don't know how to fill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    You might consider the Ball 120. I've never see a gold Zenith the cheap?
    I know. I was a bit shocked at the price on the first piece I posted. But the second one is really a stainless steel watch with a gold bezel, hands, indices, and crown.

for about $2000 you could get a vintage IWC Cal 89 which is about 38mm I think

3. Likes DM71 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    for about $2000 you could get a vintage IWC Cal 89 which is about 38mm I think
    Vintage and gold is ultra cool. Maybe a vintage gold Longines like a Admiral would be cool or one of the mystery dials.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Blog Entries
    I've taken my first shot at filling the hole. This arrived today. While I'm over the moon about the case, the display back, and the strap, I'm not entirely sold on the dial or the hands. There's something about the color of the dial that displeases me, maybe it should be closer to cream or beige. And the hands are a bit inelegant. Also, I could do without the date. But overall I think I'll grow into it. I love the heft and warmth of 18ct gold, and the watch has a solidness that's gratifying. It's a good size for me and the overall look is pretty close to what I had in mind.

Name:  Martin_Braun_small.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  115.8 KB Name:  MB_back_small.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  103.1 KB Name:  MB_wristie_small.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  88.7 KB
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

6. Likes Der Amf, MarkO, Hayseed Brown liked this post
    Maybe something from Frederique Constant?

Blog Entries
    Well for the present I'm going to give the Braun some time to integrate itself into my watch consciousness and see if it finds a place there. It's not entirely implausible that at some point I might completely lose my mind and seek a watchmaker to give it a new dial and hands. I know that's heresy to some hereabouts but, while I will listen to arguments against this, ultimately it's my hunk o' metal and I'll do with it as I please.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself here. The Braun and I need to spend a good long while getting to know each other before either of us makes any decisions about the other.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Blog Entries
    I like it a lot, but I'm a sucker for dress style watches. I agree the date is less desirable, but if you have to have it I like the dial placement.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

10. Likes Strange liked this post
    Well, if you decide to look further, even as we speak, Ashford has the Zenith Port Royal for $4510 (although it is rose gold):

http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/ze..._cat6071&so=15

I got very lucky when I bought my only gold watch--found a beautiful Maurice Lacroix, listed as "ladies" but actually really men's. 37mm, but thin bezel so it wears larger, nice SW-300 movement, very understated. Paid less than $3k new on the GM. Don't know if there are still any out there, though.

Name:  Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Small.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  70.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    I agree the date is less desirable, but if you have to have it I like the dial placement.
    No doubt. The 6:00 placement preserves the dial's symmetry, thus making itself far less obtrusive than 3:00, which sticks out like a sore thumb.

Mlcor, that Lacroix is lovely.
    Last edited by Strange; Dec 5, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    No doubt. The 6:00 placement preserves the dial's symmetry, thus making itself far less obtrusive than 3:00, which sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Congrats on the new watch. It especially balances-out the dial because there is a decently-sized logo above the "Martin Braun." And a note on the hands: they seem to be the correct length and in the style of the indices, creating a succinct appearance. Enjoy.

14. Likes Strange liked this post