Likes Likes:  43
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Affordable Watches That Get A Nod From Snobs

A load of fluff really, IF Junghans Max Bills were "affordable" i'd have one.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

2. Likes Martin, ljb187 liked this post
    Without looking at the website first, I'm going to make my list off the top of my head. Didn't think too hard about this one.

(In no particular order)

1) Seiko Monster
    2) Seiko SKX007
    3) Seiko Cocktail Time
    4) Tissot Visodate
    5) Orient Mako/Ray
    6) Casio MDV106
    7) Casio G-Shock GW5600
    8) Vostok Amphibian
    9) Strela Chrono (forgot what it's called)
    10) Sea-Gull 1969

Edit: I scored 1/10 compared to their lists. I was wrong in not selecting the Orient Bambino. I'll take out the Strela and put the Bambino in its spot. Other than that, I don't agree with their list all that much. To each their own. The Tempest looks pretty sweet though.
    Last edited by faiz31887; Jun 1, 2015 at 04:57 AM.

4. Likes 93EXCivic liked this post
    Snob just means enthusiast. There are watches at all price points that we like, or at least respect, and those we don't - it's as simple as that.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes hayday, ljb187 liked this post
    hmmm snob

a person who imitates, cultivates, or slavishly admires social superiors and is condescending or overbearing to others.
    a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field:

saw it on a t-shirt so must be true oh and collins say's so too
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

8. Likes Der Amf, T Bone liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    hmmm snob

a person who imitates, cultivates, or slavishly admires social superiors and is condescending or overbearing to others.
    a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field:

saw it on a t-shirt so must be true oh and collins say's so too
    Yeah but what brand of t shirt?

10. Likes is that my watch, JAGtime, hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Not a fan of ABTW and not a fan of this list. Not that it is a bad list. After all, I love watches... period. Just some watches that as a WIS, hopefully not a snob, I think are more respectable across the board. That's just me.

12. Likes Imitation of Life, FuzzyB, T Bone liked this post
    One could easily argue that being overly critical of a critic is itself the act of a snob. It's capable to disagree without criticizing. I struggle with this. A lot.

-hayday
    Last edited by hayday; Jun 4, 2015 at 01:23 PM.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

14. Likes T Bone, ljb187 liked this post
    The etymology of "snob" is that its an abbreviation of Sine nobile - ie lacking a noble title. Imagine a list:

Lord This
    the Marquis of There
    the Duke of Here
    John Smith, s. nob.

Obviously John Smith, hanging out with this bunch is going to take on airs and graces he perhaps wasn't born with, and through learns, from the contempt with which he is treated, exactly what it is he and other non-nobles lack in their breeding etc.

Easy to work out the parallels for a watch snob, and I don't think its something anyone in right mind would aspire to. Quite the opposite I would have thought

I thought it was a pretty good list, as lists like this go. I would've put the Visodate on there.

17. Likes hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    I thought it was a pretty good list, as lists like this go. I would've put the Visodate on there.
    Definitely, the Visodate was a glaring omission.