Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Say Tomato...

You guys have it bad. I just have the sub without the distractions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I would consider the Sinn/B&R or Lum tec copies, they share some design elements but it ends there.

What bothers me most are those mushroom brands like Parnis. It is quite evident some of these share the same cases and parts as replicas sans the offending logo and name.
    They just found a way to profit from both sides of the law.

3. Likes ilitig8 liked this post
    First, I wish that there was a different name for "homages" within the watch community. It tends to stick in my craw, if you will. I, however, don't have a good alternative. Homages to me are ones that pay tribute as a significant part of their existence. Parnis is not paying homage at any level, they are making money. Omega has money at the core of their reason to re-issue and updated SM 300 but they are also paying tribute to one of their designs.

Second, I have the same issue as Mew88 when it comes to watches assembled with many of the same parts as their "black hat" cousins.

Finally, I have softened on my view of many of the copy-cat brands if someone chooses to wear them then that is there decision and I won't take issue. I will take issue on the rare times someone comes into a thread and says the Brand X watch you just bought is a waste of money when you could have bought Brand Y's knock off instead.

5. Likes DM71, Mew88 liked this post
    Old Fogey Support Team chrono555's Avatar
    At the car, just fetching your zimmer frame.
    Nothing wrong with homages in my book. If they're not trying to pass themselves off as Brand X, what's the harm?

Case in point, Getat. Nice watches in their own right, and it's nice to have a Panerai-style put together to my spec. I'm never going to own a Panerai - the buyer's guilt would be too much. Having just scratched my Getat, if I did that to a six grand watch I can tell you I would be one Grade A shit to be around.
    No, my buying a $200 Getat isn't losing Panerai a sale. But if I won the lottery tomorrow, the Getat would be the reason I'd be at Panerai's door with a wad of cash.

And I wouldn't dream of telling someone their $6,000 Panerai is a waste when they could have a $200 Getat. If they're happy with their Panerai, that's all that matters. Let me be happy with my Getat till my numbers come up.
    Last edited by chrono555; Nov 25, 2014 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrono555 View Post
    Case in point, Getat.
    Does Getat call the watch a "Luminor 112" or is that what you call it? If the latter, why?

Old Fogey Support Team chrono555's Avatar
    At the car, just fetching your zimmer frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    Does Getat call the watch a "Luminor 112" or is that what you call it? If the latter, why?
    I call it that. It's a Getat, Luminor is the style, 112 is what it's based on.
    It's a bit more informative than calling it "base model sterile dial" cos that covers a few in his range.

9. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    First, I wish that there was a different name for "homages" within the watch community. It tends to stick in my craw, if you will. I, however, don't have a good alternative. Homages to me are ones that pay tribute as a significant part of their existence. Parnis is not paying homage at any level, they are making money. Omega has money at the core of their reason to re-issue and updated SM 300 but they are also paying tribute to one of their designs.

Second, I have the same issue as Mew88 when it comes to watches assembled with many of the same parts as their "black hat" cousins.

Finally, I have softened on my view of many of the copy-cat brands if someone chooses to wear them then that is there decision and I won't take issue. I will take issue on the rare times someone comes into a thread and says the Brand X watch you just bought is a waste of money when you could have bought Brand Y's knock off instead.
    I agree with you for a large part. Note that parnis is not a brand, but a name on a dial to fill a blank space. I have no problem admitting I bought a number of them several years back when I could snipe them in auctions for $20-$30. They still work perfectly fine. But I only wear the ones I customized myself to more original forms. What I do find strange is that only certain brands get criticized for this behavior, while many well respected brands did the same thing.

rolex pic as answer guy mikeylacroix's Avatar
    I like my homages...

12. Likes Seriously, bu11itt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    I like my homages...
    I have a few of those homages too

Reissue of the original Shanghai made for the military

Reissue of the first watch made by SeaGull, the WuYi, in '57

And of course the 1963:

Blog Entries
    There have been 1000s of posts written on this subject and nobody will ever achieve consensus. I don't like the term either. However it is here to stay and so are cheaper versions of iconic designs. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but "homages" are a far cry from fakes as far as that goes. Marina Militare (not Panerai) is a real can of legal worms and most sites don't want you selling them in the Sales Forum but they are OK to show pics of.

Here's Guess GC quartz watch. It's a knock-off of the Cartier Pasha design, but the original is over 80 years old. There's only so many ways to put together dial, hands and case. Nobody's going to mistake it for a real Cartier. Seriously.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

15. Likes chrono555 liked this post