Likes Likes:  443
Page 46 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Wot u readin'?

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    That one has been on my to read list for a while now. Are you enjoying it?
    I finished it in 2 sessions That should answer your question

2. Likes whatmeworry liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    It does

4. Likes I-B liked this post
    I have all of Joseph Conrad's stories and essays; I am in the middle of Lord Jim. Conrad is a great story teller and when he writes about the sea, trade and the far East, of which he is very knowledgeable, I get the social issues of the turn of the 20th century. And I like to bring up Google Earth and get a sense of the geography involved.

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    Just started it, great so far.

7. Likes I-B liked this post
    Just remembered that I set myself a new years resolution to read at least one book written before 2000 for everyone I read written this century. So far I'm 27 to 20 adverse and Ready Player One will make that 28:20.

Wot u readin'?

That sounds like torture to me.
    I'm all for reading books of yesteryear (particularly interwar travel writing, first hand air/military bio), but my eyes glaze over as soon as anyone alights from a carriage, wears a crinoline, or frets over whether to marry Mr Darcy.

Edit (oops, I can't do maths!)

Anyway, why not relax the ratio a bit :-)
    Last edited by OhDark30; Sep 5, 2015 at 01:34 PM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    That sounds like torture to me.
    I'm all for reading books of yesteryear (particularly interwar travel writing, first hand air/military bio), but my eyes glaze over as soon as anyone alights from a carriage, wears a crinoline, or frets over whether to marry Mr Darcy.

Edit (oops, I can't do maths!)

Anyway, why not relax the ratio a bit :-)
    Ha ha, yes you don't seem like a Mr Darcy type! I have read a few early C20 and late C19 things this year, but strictly pulp or easy going stuff - HG Wells, Father Brown, Tarzan, Fu Manchu, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Just remembered that I set myself a new years resolution to read at least one book written before 2000 for everyone I read written this century. So far I'm 27 to 20 adverse and Ready Player One will make that 28:20.
    Still 47 this far this year is quite impressive. I set a goal of 50 for each year total,but have gotten into a real slump this year. Your book being the first I finish in the last 6 weeks.

But like the idea of mixing centuries. Myself I've set out to read more female and also non-swedish and non-English authors.

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Still 47 this far this year is quite impressive. I set a goal of 50 for each year total,but have gotten into a real slump this year. Your book being the first I finish in the last 6 weeks.

But like the idea of mixing centuries. Myself I've set out to read more female and also non-swedish and non-English authors.
    I tend to go through peaks and troughs with my reading that are directly linked to my writing. The less I write the more I read. To be honest I'd rather be writing, but reading is at least something I can call research.
    Glad Sunliner made the cut for you, it's intended to be very easy to read, even if some of the subject matter is a bit horrid.

I've been on a Military Science Fiction kick lately. Fun, easy reading. Iv been reading Haldeman, Heinlein, and Scalzi in rapid succession, and so I've been able to do a really tight style comparison. Having re-read the keystone works of each all in the same week: Forever War, Starship Troopers, and the Old Man's War series back to back, I realize that I prefer Haldeman of all of them. I always assumed that I liked Heinlein best - not that his stuff is anything to sneeze at. I forgot what a great book Forever War is. I find Scalzi to get a little tedious, especially when you get to Zoe's Tale. Had to push through it.

Also finally got around to reading Sakurazaka's All You Need Is Kill this week, which wasn't bad. I think it was the basis for the Edge of Tomorrow movie.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.