Likes Likes:  28
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omega, Rolex, or Breitling?

I also have extensive knowledge on women that I'm happy to share.

2. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I also have extensive knowledge on women that I'm happy to share.
    Handy, but it's game over for me as of 3/14/14.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Rolex is so common - every single person I saw on the way work today wore one! I wouldn't get one because everyone you ever meet ever asks you if it's fake.
    My mate was denied service in Starbucks because he was wearing an Omega and the barista wore a Patek.
    Breitling is only for pilots and rappers.
    That was funny!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Handy, but it's game over for me as of 3/14/14.
    My condolences. We can commiserate if we ever meet. I'll bring the diapers and you can bring the kitty litter.

Blog Entries
    Omega: I love the style, the history, and my own personal, familial connection to the brand. Nothing really pushes me away from the brand. If I had to only have one brand, Omega has a watch for every occasion. Speedmaster, Planet Ocean, Aqua Terra, Hour Vision, and even the more obscure and less talked about models really get me going. Before I saw the price, I was very close to getting a Speedmaster Broad Arrow over the Speedmaster Pro I have now.

Breitling: I really like the ruggedness of the look, the aviation style reminds me of the 9 year old me that wanted to be a fighter pilot and not the current me that needs 2mg of Xanax to get on a commercial plane. I like their anadigis--fell in love with the Emergency when I saw Bear Grylls wearing one on Man vs. Wild. And the Navitimer is a gorgeous piece of work. SuperOcean Heritage was a watch that I almost bought years back, waited, and now the prices are ridiculously out of my price range. What does push me away is that some of their models are a bit too big and a bit too flash.

Rolex: I like the look. I feel like I'm missing out by never having owned one. I've tried a few on and have been both impressed and unimpressed by various offerings. The older, pre-ceramic Submariners, for example, felt cheap and flimsy. Most of their watches are too small for my wrist. Sometimes I prefer looking at them rather to wearing them. There are a few examples otherwise. The DeepSea works on my wrist--but at $13,000+ it really ought to. The Daytona looks pretty good too, and is another iconic chronograph (with the Navitimer) that I don't have in my collection. If I could get the two, with my Speedmaster, Monaco, and Pan Europ, I'd never need another chronograph. One thing I really, really, really hate about Rolex, though, is that they have plain casebacks. So much money and they make a plain caseback that allows fakes to look more real. An intricate caseback is a nice way to make sure you're getting the genuine article.

7. Likes Teeritz liked this post
    Breitling, I have two. If unlimited funds, I'd have several more. I like the aviation heritage, and the general rugged "tool" (and just plain cool) look. My favorite of the three, by no means belittling the other two.

Omega, I have none. Again given the funds, I'd have a few. Speedmaster Pro would be tops on the list (that heritage thing again). And a Planet Ocean, and perhaps a Seamaster 300.

Rolex, again I have none. Do hope to someday get a Submariner, or Sea Dweller (did I mention I like tool watches?). And some of their more plain models (Air King comes to mind) are desirable. And of course the GMT Master (again, the aviation heritage). Rolex created and rode a wave of marketing and/or luck that propelled them to where they are today as a household name. Many who are not into/don't know about watches think they are the top of the heap. To have gotten that kind of name recognition, surely they must've done something right!
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    So bizarre. Literally never once heard you talk about watches - I thought your knowledge extended solely to working out (you seem to know your stuff), flying (enthusiastic amateur?) and sartorial saint (probably know more than me...probably).
    I think he just googles stuff.

10. Likes dbakiva liked this post

Omega, Rolex, or Breitling?

I think all three have good watches that are worth the prices people pay when getting good deals.

I do like how they have in-house movements. I don't like how they're made primarily by robots and machines. I also don't like how their branding has penetrated scores of people who know nothing about watches, but want to consume conspicuously. There should be a WIS IQ test in order to buy certain heavily-branded watches just to keep it real.

Out of all three brands, I like two watches. I like the Omega bullhead Seamaster chrono, and I like the Omega 42mm 8500 with orange on the dial.

Ripped from the webs:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416176506.627951.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416176667.600378.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  64.8 KB
    Last edited by Rob; Nov 16, 2014 at 09:25 PM.

12. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    I think he just googles stuff.
    Too much effort. I just make shit up.

14. Likes Chronopolitano, dbakiva liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    Too much effort. I just make shit up.
    Like a BOSS!