Likes Likes:  738
Page 148 of 253 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 2526

Thread: Movies / Films / Flicks

A large amount of Star Wars fans didn't like the movie. Anyone who is accusing the audience of being sexist, and/or racist is doing so without merit and in poor taste.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. Likes Dimman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    A large amount of Star Wars fans didn't like the movie. Anyone who is accusing the audience of being sexist, and/or racist is doing so without merit and in poor taste.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    I don’t think the number is as high as you think. I think it’s a vocal contingent on the Internet who disliked it for those reasons. I'm not saying that's the only reason people disliked it (and I'm certainly not saying that's the reason you disliked it), but that faction exists.
    Last edited by Raza; Jul 20, 2018 at 02:31 AM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Depends on who you want to believe. I won’t pretend that Last Jedi was as loved as Infinity War (and I feel that article I posted addressed the difference in how it was received by the laity), but there’s also this:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/18/1...es-review-bomb

A lot of frail white male egos sitting behind keyboards—the internet version of a mall cop (small men with small power wielding it as largely as they can). Can’t stand the idea of a strong female character or a black hero. Infinity War was largely still the Tony Stark show—the kind of comforting hero (though he’s really a villain) to a certain kind of person.

As disappointing as The Ringer usually is, this is a pretty good article comparing the two and it addresses one of the reasons “fans” were unhappy with Last Jedi—it challenged them and subverted their expectations when they wanted to see a new skin on a movie they’ve already seen.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/201...t-jedi-endings
    Bold section: Um, Leia and Lando in the original?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
    Bold section: Um, Leia and Lando in the original?
    Times were different then. Not to get political, but Obama’s presidency really shook some people and racism and misogyny are at all time highs in my lifetime (I’m well aware that it was worse before I was born). When the trailer for Force Awakens dropped, there was a call for a boycott after Finn took his helmet off.

Angered by previews and press (and now a new trailer) suggesting that the characters in the new Star Wars film may not all be white men, these lonely warriors have struck back, but with hapless bigotry in place of storm troopers. “If white people aren’t wanted in Star Wars, then our money must not be either,” one declared. Another muttered darkly about “Jewish activist JJ Abrams.”

This is our world now.

EDIT: Later it would come to light that the majority of the “movement” trending came from people saying how stupid the boycott was, but it was still out there.
    Last edited by Raza; Jul 20, 2018 at 03:12 AM.

Times were different then. Not to get political, but Obama’s presidency really shook some people and racism and misogyny are at all time highs in my lifetime (I’m well aware that it was worse before I was born). When the trailer for Force Awakens dropped, there was a call for a boycott after Finn took his helmet off.

Angered by previews and press (and now a new trailer) suggesting that the characters in the new Star Wars film may not all be white men, these lonely warriors have struck back, but with hapless bigotry in place of storm troopers. “If white people aren’t wanted in Star Wars, then our money must not be either,” one declared. Another muttered darkly about “Jewish activist JJ Abrams.”

This is our world now.

EDIT: Later it would come to light that the majority of the “movement” trending came from people saying how stupid the boycott was, but it was still out there.
    Yeah, but they don't matter.

The issue wasn't recent racism and misogyny organizing to give bad reviews. Lando is a bloody meme of suave and cool in modern times. And Leia taking the piss out of Han, saving him and Luke when they save her, being introduced standing up to this nearly seven foot tall black space samurai wizard, later choking an alien to death because he was sexually degrading her, are what makes her awesome. I can't see that being given a pass by the 'girls are icky' racist internet losers.

The accusations of "The deplorables did it!" whenever a movie with women in it does poorly is crying wolf a bit too much.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, but they don't matter.

The issue wasn't recent racism and misogyny organizing to give bad reviews. Lando is a bloody meme of suave and cool in modern times. And Leia taking the piss out of Han, saving him and Luke when they save her, being introduced standing up to this nearly seven foot tall black space samurai wizard, later choking an alien to death because he was sexually degrading her, are what makes her awesome. I can't see that being given a pass by the 'girls are icky' racist internet losers.

The accusations of "The deplorables did it!" whenever a movie with women in it does poorly is crying wolf a bit too much.
    I’m talking about a very specific online campaign to tank the user reviews at Rotten Tomatoes, not some large overall conspiracy. And I posted evidence a few posts back. It’s not like I’m making this up out of thin air. Critic reviews of The Last Jedi place it at 91% RT and 85 Metascore—both incredibly high. The movie also pulled in $220m opening weekend and $1.33b worldwide. Furthermore, it was nominated for four Oscars. I don’t think “does poorly” applies here.
    Last edited by Raza; Jul 20, 2018 at 11:09 AM.

I’m talking about a very specific online campaign to tank the user reviews at Rotten Tomatoes, not some large overall conspiracy. And I posted evidence a few posts back. It’s not like I’m making this up out of thin air. Critic reviews of The Last Jedi place it at 91% RT and 85 Metascore—both incredibly high. The movie also pulled in $220m opening weekend and $1.33b worldwide. Furthermore, it was nominated for four Oscars. I don’t think “does poorly” applies here.
    $700M lower than Awakens worldwide, $300M lower domestic.

There were a LOT of disappointed fans. Oscars mean nothing.

It's baseless and it's tired. They do the same thing when all female remakes are not commercially or critically successful.

I'm convinced the media seeks out small contingents of idiots doing idiot things because they're idiots and tries to convince everyone that it's happening on large scale and we should be afraid. To my knowledge no one has any evidence that a bunch of racists impacted the movies RT rating. In fact, The Force Awakens has about 30k more user reviews than The Last Jedi. What we do know is the movie, and the accompanying toy line, made considerably less money than previous Star Wars movies.

Amy Schumer tried to sell a similar story when her Netflix special tanked.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    It's baseless and it's tired. They do the same thing when all female remakes are not commercially or critically successful.
    To be fair, the Ghostbusters remake was full of thematic and storytelling problems.

12. Likes Perseus liked this post