Likes Likes:  170
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: MORE FOR A SCORE IV - Potential entries thread

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It has got more than a passing resemblance to the Smiths hasn't it. Any chance of a picture of the movement?
    Newmark movement.

Name:  IMG_20190608_142858.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  184.3 KB
    There's nothing important to read here.

2. Likes Matt liked this post
    Oh well, I'm out
    Tried to open the barrel carefully and the mainspring shot out and kinked itself and smacked me right in my visor
    Buying a new one or complete barrel with mainspring will take me way over the £20.

Next time guys

4. Likes Pip liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ro63rto View Post
    Oh well, I'm out
    Tried to open the barrel carefully and the mainspring shot out and kinked itself and smacked me right in my visor
    Buying a new one or complete barrel with mainspring will take me way over the £20.

Next time guys
    well am giving a way a watch on the free stuff thread so could always still be in yours if you want it

last post

Free Stuff

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

6. Likes ro63rto, skywatch liked this post
    Ok, time for a bit of an update. I've definitely got a bit too carried away, even by my own lax standards, but it's getting to the point that I need to make my mind up. So...

The Marconi, while a bit of a find, is out, the mainspring has gone and I'm not bodging it. The Midi Blandford is actually only 34mm and, while perfectly formed, it's just too small for a male dive watch. The Pobeda really should be a contender, especially as it was literally the first watch in space, but I've done these to death in all their versions. The Langel is potentially lovely, especially as it is in what appears to be a phosphor bronze case and has a splendid movement, but the crystal is properly foxed with no leeway for a new crystal. The Favre Leuba would be an obvious contender, but it was from a bootsale with no obvious evidence of the price, so I'd rather not. Whatever else, I've enjoyed being focussed on the bottom of the market and rooted out a pile of cool stuff. However, working out what my entry will be is a little more challenging.

The '75 Seiko arrived and after stripping and cleaning all the electronics:

burst into life, but then I put it somewhere safe and, as I'm about a third of the way through moving house, probably will not be seen for a month or two.

I'm still keen on the younger Seiko with the lovely dial:

There's two watches in The States, but mulling it over, it's not fair to dodge the silly postage by getting a pal in the US to send it over cheaply, so I'm not going to use them when they arrive. However, there's a couple of other contenders. The most obvious is the large Blandford. I've ended up spending a while on this. The new movement and bezel have arrived from China and I've polished and fiddled with it:

It's basically finished now. It's running and whole, but I need to strip it and clean it all with Rodico and then mount the bezel with something more adhesive than Blu tac. However, it's not looking too bad:

Obviously the crystal has taken an almighty wack, but it's not as bad as it looks and it's not leaking - the back is, the base gasket was shot and I've not replaced it yet. However, for under twenty quid it is remarkable for what is basically a Squale.

The problem is that I really can't bring myself to love the movement. Having such a cooking movement in such a nice watch will make me itch whenever I wear it, so while it's the obvious choice I think I'll probably shoot myself in the foot and either go with the Seiko or this:

Because I like it!

It's a nice size, the dial is beautifully aged with one of my favourite configurations and the most perfectly flame blued hands. Not only that, but it's got an early ETA movement in lovely condition and trim ( excuse the rubbish photo)

Mind you, the weird French thing is serious competition,

just for the fantastic dial. So it's definitely one of these four and probably the Derrick, once I've had a chance to sort it out properly.

8. Likes crownpuller, is that my watch, DJW GB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    well am giving a way a watch on the free stuff thread so could always still be in yours if you want it

last post

Free Stuff
    Haha, yeah I think I'll pass on that one
    I'll keep my eye open for the next MFAS.

Quote Originally Posted by ro63rto View Post
    Haha, yeah I think I'll pass on that one
    I'll keep my eye open for the next MFAS.
    don't seem like any one want's it
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

11. Likes ro63rto liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Well, they are all ticking...
    So, after a day the results are varied:

The Ginebras is still running but the solitary hand hasn't moved.
    The Integra got as far as 6:30 before the hands fouled each other.
    The Dom is gaining time at a ridiculous rate - about 80 minutes.
    The Orvin is about +6 minutes.
    The Ardan is about +2 minutes.
    The Zila is pretty much 'spot on' against my Zodiac

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    ... I need to make my mind up.
    It's nice to have options: I don't fancy another full restoration like last year, so I need to choose from 3...
    The Zila is tops on accuracy.
    The Avia is tops on .... I dunno, just something about it..... If it weren't for the missing patch of lume from the minute hand, would be my entry for sure.
    The Mira is tops on looks (to me, at least).

I've not opened any of them yet, so maybe the movement should be the decider.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    don't seem like any one want's it

We can set up a family on the island of misfit watches. I'll have a few to contribute shortly.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

14. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    We can set up a family on the island of misfit watches. I'll have a few to contribute shortly.
    think my locally charity shop gets it Monday not done well with my offerings out of four things one went you would think I was charging
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

16. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Out with the old...

Name:  AviaAcrylic.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  187.0 KB

... new, ready and waiting.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

18. Likes is that my watch, Colin63, Matt liked this post