Likes Likes:  73
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On Homages and their nefarious cousins....

Last edited by Yankeexpress; Jan 8, 2015 at 10:00 PM.

Homages give you a flavour of a watch you may never have the funds to buy.

Some of them can be interesting and fun too.

Direct copies are akin to a recording artist covering a song and not putting their own personality into it. Who want to hear that?

Replicas.. well its stealing imo

Sent from my GT-I9505

3. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    (1st one jraul7 posted above)

Here's a conundrum:
    I might buy one inadvertently , like the Steinhart above.

Never seen the original Rolex (until now) , so if I liked the Steinhart (which I do) and I had absolutely no knowledge it was a homage/copy/callitwhatyouwill, then I would be sold just based on me liking that particular design that was in front of me.
    Last edited by Seriously; Jan 8, 2015 at 10:00 PM.

I have no problem with any of them.
    Really, after much philosophical analysis of our current state of technology, manufacturing processes, and market validation / valorization.

Call 'em whatever.
    In the end, they're just watches to me: I either like or do not like.

On the other hand, I also have no morals* or standards.
    I take everything as they come.

* - According to mainstream notions.

6. Likes Seriously, M. Montaigne, uchinanchu liked this post
    Homage - intended to pay tribute - I think of the lightening bolt on the current Milgauss as a homage to the original Milgauss.

Copy - design is copied (likely with little/no intention to pay tribute) - not necessarily identical, can be similar design too - example would be a Steinhart submariner

Replica - fake, including copy of logo (we don't discuss here).

I realize that in the watch community, some people have come to use homage to mean copy, but not me - that's not what the word means.
    Last edited by cedargrove; Jan 9, 2015 at 10:11 AM.

5517, A-10 Soprod

Fakes/replicas are a big no no, of course!
    Joe

Omega / Rolex / Oris / Citizen / Seiko / Alpina / G Shock

Steinharts are homages due to being a different size, different color, different movement, different logo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeexpress View Post
    Steinharts are homages due to being a different size, different color, different movement, different logo, etc.
    I doubt they are homages based on the actual meaning of the word. Copy does not necessarily mean identical, but can also mean similar. Words have meanings.

Although copies aren't for me, I have no issues with them, and feel they do play a role in the watch world. However I always laugh when people vehemently defend copies, but then insist on calling them homages, like there is something wrong with a copy. I don't think copy is a bad word, but I guess some are uncomfortable using it, and maybe prefer to fool themselves.

12. Likes avt80, happyscrappyheropup, drickster liked this post
    Originally Posted by Dienekes
    Just not a fan of any. I buy a watch because I appreciate the original design from the company who made it. If I couldn't afford such a watch then I would move on to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post

This.

Unless, the replica was being made by the original company.

I have bought a few of these, Laco fliegers , one or two Dugena remake's , they are simply copying their own original design .. can't see anything wrong with that.

But otherwise as above: This.
    THESE.

As far as "depriving" myself of something, I'm not. Except maybe that awkward moment when you have to explain to someone that the vintage Rolex Explorer II on your wrist is actually a Steinhart blatant copy. At least, *I* would find that awkward.

To each their own, though....
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine