Likes Likes:  1,057
Page 179 of 277 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2763

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    Any of our Brit contingent a fan of Phoenix Nights? I found it entertaining, but then again, I found Bo' Selecta a riot as well.

Now there’s a surprising thing for an American to watch.

You could even call it a regional British thing, because Peter Kay’s ‘constituency’ is mostly in the north of England. There are probably swathes of British viewers who don’t really get him.

Phoenix Nights is sporadically brilliant, but you have to be able to tune into a very particular world. For me, Peter Kay’s crowning glory so far is ‘Car Share’. There are twelve episodes, plus a couple of specials, and the whole action is confined to a supermarket manager and worker driving to and from work. It’s re-showing on the BBC now, to fill the covus vacuum, and it’s still as good, even if I know some scenes by heart. I think you’d like it.

2. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

You could even call it a regional British thing, because Peter Kay’s ‘constituency’ is mostly in the north of England. There are probably swathes of British viewers who don’t really get him.

Phoenix Nights is sporadically brilliant, but you have to be able to tune into a very particular world. For me, Peter Kay’s crowning glory so far is ‘Car Share’. There are twelve episodes, plus a couple of specials, and the whole action is confined to a supermarket manager and worker driving to and from work. It’s re-showing on the BBC now, to fill the covus vacuum, and it’s still as good, even if I know some scenes by heart. I think you’d like it.
    I understand exactly what you mean by "tuning into a particular world" re: PN as there were times I'd watch and be rolling on the floor, and others, wondering what the heck was so funny. I did watch the entire series though, I thought it at least interesting enough to finish. Thanks for the "Car Share" recommendation - I'll check it out.

Blog Entries
    Since we’re on the topic of quarantine TV, I’ve actually written a blog post on it. Thought I’d share.

http://www.studyroompod.com/blog/202...antine-edition
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Checked out "Car Share', and you were correct, I enjoyed it in all its simplicity. I've revoked my man card for a lot - The Gilmore Girls, the bride makes fun of me for enjoying a rom com way too often, and this certainly fits into a similar category but with the dry, innocent, very simple humor of Peter Kay.

What really got me was the music - it's like the guy had a direct link into my head with everything from Big Audio Dynamite, to Grandmaster Melle Mel to Yes - almost every song brought me back to a good place - and he plays the same game that I drive my bride crazy with - what year was it recorded?

Forever FM, and thanks for the heads up!

6. Likes tribe125 liked this post
    Checked out "Car Share', and you were correct, I enjoyed it in all its simplicity. I've revoked my man card for a lot - The Gilmore Girls, the bride makes fun of me for enjoying a rom com way too often, and this certainly fits into a similar category but with the dry, innocent, very simple humor of Peter Kay.

What really got me was the music - it's like the guy had a direct link into my head with everything from Big Audio Dynamite, to Grandmaster Melle Mel to Yes - almost every song brought me back to a good place - and he plays the same game that I drive my bride crazy with - what year was it recorded?

Where did you find Car Share, Walter?

I don’t know how many you’ve watched, but you’ve got some priceless moments coming up. I’ll just say ‘safari park’ for now...

Car Share was first screened in 2017. It came out of nowhere really, with no fanfare, and was a small, perfectly formed sensation.

I’m glad to have passed it on!

9. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Oh, and there are lots of visual gags that are easily missed - as well as some of the passing snippets from the radio DJ. Here’s something that only appeared for a moment in the first episode -

Name:  4B4835FE-6F9C-4D8A-8079-001F5D7D896C.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  49.3 KB

11. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Where did you find Car Share, Walter?
    dailymotion.com for all of the episodes until the last two - BBC 1 for the last "unscripted" episode and a Google drive post that took me a while to find for the finale.

I don’t know how many you’ve watched, but you’ve got some priceless moments coming up. I’ll just say ‘safari park’ for now...

Car Share was first screened in 2017. It came out of nowhere really, with no fanfare, and was a small, perfectly formed sensation.

I’m glad to have passed it on!
    I've watched it all - thank you - really dug it.

Oh, and there are lots of visual gags that are easily missed - as well as some of the passing snippets from the radio DJ. Here’s something that only appeared for a moment in the first episode -

Name:  4B4835FE-6F9C-4D8A-8079-001F5D7D896C.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  49.3 KB
    Yes, lots of snippets that contributed to the whole, I caught that one.

13. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Not much on the telly of late.

Some classic b & w films on iplayer , timeless

Started "Ozark", about 8 episodes in. I don't mind shows where things are unbelievable because that's where the series is, set in a make believe world, but this is so full of unbelievable, "why would they let that happen" situations, and with the acting being so so, we're thinking we won't continue.