Likes Likes:  143
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 on a personal level

Fingers crossed, Chuck. Do remember that the vast majority of people recover without serious problems.

Blog Entries
    I’m crossing fingers for you and your wife, Chuck.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

So... yesterday my wife called her doc for the test result. The doc told her the test was negative so she possibly didn't have COVID-19. Jeanette asked what she meant by possibly if the test was negative. The doc changed her answer and said the report says inconclusive. Jeanette asked what inconclusive means and the doc said it's possible the lab didn't grow the culture long enough to really know but considering the signs and symptoms she had it's still possible she did have the virus and roughly 50% of the test results aren't trustworthy.

WTF!!!! In the USA alone can you imagine the $$$ spent on test kit research/design/development/implementation/evaluation? All for something that is basically worthless. That money could have been put into vaccine research. A vaccine is the only thing that will get the world past this.

While Jeanette's condition has been mild compared to many her loss of smell and taste, which still persists, tells me she does have it.
    Last edited by chuckmiller; Sep 22, 2020 at 05:53 PM.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

The loss of taste and smell is an indicator. However my mother-in-law lost her sense of smell from a normal cold and it never came back. Those inconclusive tests seem rather common from what I heard. Probably the reason my son was tested twice. I wish your wife all the best and a speedy recovery!
    Cheers, Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    ....However my mother-in-law lost her sense of smell from a normal cold and it never came back. ...
    How odd. This is the first time I have heard of that happening.

...I wish your wife all the best and a speedy recovery!
    THANK YOU, Sedi, and to everyone as well.

7. Likes Sedi liked this post
    I’m not sure that tests require a culture, and I think overall accuracy is around 80% - which is probably as much as you could expect. I wouldn’t call it useless.

9. Likes Kronos liked this post
    Unless they're using a completely worthless test kit, accuracy should be MUCH higher than 50%. Sounds to me like the doctor is just hedging his bets. In any event, the safe course is to stay put for two weeks. Hope she's feeling better soon!

However my mother-in-law lost her sense of smell from a normal cold and it never came back. Those inconclusive tests seem rather common from what I heard. Probably the reason my son was tested twice. I wish your wife all the best and a speedy recovery!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    How odd. This is the first time I have heard of that happening.
    This happend to me. I can't smell anymore. It's been years.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    This happend to me. I can't smell anymore. It's been years.
    Seriously, from a common cold?