Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daylight Savings (Summer) Time Going Away?

As long as it changes to Daylight Savings time year round rather then standard time, I'd be happy. If it went the other way, I'd rather have the clocks change twice a year.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

2. Likes Sedi liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    On the other hand, my wife and many others object to waking up in the dark! They’re happy to sacrifice daylight at the end of the day.
    Yup, that is probably the main "problem". For me it doesn't really matter as I try to avoid getting out of bed too early -- the advantages of being self-employed -- but most people don't have that luxury. In Germany things are further being complicated by the fact that school starts at 8 a.m. They should start an hour later. If I am not mistaken -- "9 to 5" are the normal working hours in the US, right? In Germany it's "8 to 4" usually.
    Cheers, Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Yup, that is probably the main "problem". For me it doesn't really matter as I try to avoid getting out of bed too early -- the advantages of being self-employed -- but most people don't have that luxury. In Germany things are further being complicated by the fact that school starts at 8 a.m. They should start an hour later. If I am not mistaken -- "9 to 5" are the normal working hours in the US, right? In Germany it's "8 to 4" usually.
    I mean I don't know anyone who actually works a 9-5. It is usually more like 8-5 or 7-4. I personally work 6:30-3 or 3:30 depending on how long I take for lunch so I have time to go mountain biking or hiking or gardening after work.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

5. Likes Sedi, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Ignore the clock, begin the day whenever the Sun rises and end the day whenever it sets. I'd be content with that.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

7. Likes Strela167 liked this post
    You can blame me, I was one of the citizens to sign the initiative that lead to Finland proposing this in EU.

At the end of last year, the EU Commission – on Finland’s initiative – proposed ending the practice of daylight saving time.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/i..._time/10627130
    Cheers, M

9. Likes tribe125, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post

It’s also even more confusing since the US unsynchronized its DST calendar from that of Europe...
    I remember that. Some years ago, we started standard time later than we had been doing and ended it earlier than we had been doing.

What will happen in the US is anyone’s guess. I don’t expect the US to play a leadership role (if indeed we play any role) in finding a worldwide solution to this question. Not at the moment, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk