Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting original bracelets

Question Adjusting original bracelets

Hi,

A question for those in the know, can these original bracelets be altered sucessfully?

Can you add or remove 'links' by pushing out one of the pins between those links? Any hints for pressing out a pin?

I thought I'd ask first before I tried and destroyed a 70s bracelet…

Name:  IMG_20220925_095932.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  26.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_20220925_095943.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  21.1 KB

Thanks,
    Slade.

Yes Slade, they're not too difficult and every link can be removed. An ultrasonic cleaner is also a good tool to have, you can clean a lot of the gunk out first which often makes it easier to push the pins out. Scott has a better version of the red pin press in this photo, in fact he may have the complete kit that Rado produced at one stage, I'm sure he'll post a photo if he does. I tend to rely on the plastic block with the mallet and punch.

Name:  IMG20220925083552.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  73.7 KB

N.B. There are different versions of the seven row bracelet so, the links are not universally compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    Yes Slade, they're not too difficult and every link can be removed. An ultrasonic cleaner is also a good tool to have, you can clean a lot of the gunk out first which often makes it easier to push the pins out. Scott has a better version of the red pin press in this photo, in fact he may have the complete kit that Rado produced at one stage, I'm sure he'll post a photo if he does. I tend to rely on the plastic block with the mallet and punch.

N.B. There are different versions of the seven row bracelet so, the links are not universally compatible.
    Hi Tim,

I have a bit of a rubbish pin press (and the old mallet and block) so I'll be upgrading soon.

Thanks for the info about the different versions of the seven row bracelet. That alone is worth it's weight gold and in auction fees... I'll be very careful to look closely at those details!

I'll have a gentle go at trying to break some of the pins out after a bit of a CRC bath to loosen then.

Good point about the ultrasonic cleaner too. I've been meaning to do a bit of an Aliexpress purchase run soon, so I'll add that to the list.

Thanks for your helpful advice.

Slade.

Quote Originally Posted by sladew View Post
    Hi Tim,

I have a bit of a rubbish pin press (and the old mallet and block) so I'll be upgrading soon.

Thanks for the info about the different versions of the seven row bracelet. That alone is worth it's weight gold and in auction fees... I'll be very careful to look closely at those details!

I'll have a gentle go at trying to break some of the pins out after a bit of a CRC bath to loosen then.

Good point about the ultrasonic cleaner too. I've been meaning to do a bit of an Aliexpress purchase run soon, so I'll add that to the list.

Thanks for your helpful advice.

Slade.
    You'll often find ultrasonic cleaners at the likes of Supercheap and other auto parts retailers. Be careful buying them in from China, I've had them send me 110 volt cleaners twice, i.e. I complained that they'd sent me a 110v version so they replaced it with another 110v one.

You'll often find ultrasonic cleaners at the likes of Supercheap and other auto parts retailers. Be careful buying them in from China, I've had them send me 110 volt cleaners twice, i.e. I complained that they'd sent me a 110v version so they replaced it with another 110v one.
    I hadn't thought of checking at the auto parts retailers for ultrasonic cleaners. That's a great idea. I'll get to Supercheap sometime this long weekend (us Kiwis are mourning the Queen's passing on Monday).

I mostly lean on Aliexpress for the cheaper / replaceable tools or parts for computer/laptop repairs. I understand and agree totally about the 110 vs 240 problem with Ali electrics.

Thanks for the advice. The antipodean specific info is much appreciated and worth a lot.

Many thanks,
    Slade.

6. Likes Tim. liked this post
    You'll often find ultrasonic cleaners at the likes of Supercheap and other auto parts retailers.
    Wouldn't ya know it, there was one an ultrasonic cleaner on sale today at Suerpcheap. Thanks for that advice.

This will certainly save a lot of elbow grease with the scrubbing brush and detergent cleaning up those crusty watch straps

Thanks,
    Slade.

Question Ultrasonic cleaning solution?

Hi,

Any advice for a good cleaning solution for an ultrasonic cleaner? A jeweler told me that water and vinegar was a good cleaner for ultrasonics?

Any other good cleaning solutions?

Thanks,
    Slade.

I would agree on the vinegar, lemon juice is an age old solution for cleaning tarnished jewellery. You can also just use detergent which also helps loosen the dirt. Does the cleaner you bought also heat the water?

Adjusting original bracelets

I would get yourself one of these tools, readily available on eBay, for removing pins.

For cleaning I just use warm water and washing up liquid in my ultrasonic cleaner. Hand clean with liquid, water and a toothbrush first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi JP,

I had a cheapy version of the pin press vise, but I'm going to get a better version.

I've heard about people using warm/hot water and washing up liquid in the ultrasonic cleaner too.

Do you dip it in isopropyl alcohol afterwards to help force the water out?

Slade.