Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Info request Rado purple gazelle

I believe the case comes from a Musketeer X. Without knowing the reference number an ETA 2789-1 would probably be the correct movement for that era of Purple Gazelle, but I have never seen any Rado movements with an MB prefix engraved/ stamped on them.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I believe the case comes from a Musketeer X. Without knowing the reference number an ETA 2789-1 would probably be the correct movement for that era of Purple Gazelle, but I have never seen any Rado movements with an MB prefix engraved/ stamped on them.
    good call mate but they had that bit that sticks out of the case didn't they ?

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

3. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    good call mate but they had that bit that sticks out of the case didn't they ?

The shape kinda does look alike but with a different lug type and thinner.Name:  IMG-20220722-WA0004.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  52.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ELPIPIRIPAU View Post
    The shape kinda does look alike but with a different lug type and thinner.Name:  IMG-20220722-WA0004.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  52.4 KB
    several case type that where similar but they always had the extended lug I thought, where the conway is a lot closer but has the crown at four not three ? plus lugs are still not right.

Last edited by is that my watch; Sep 26, 2022 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

6. Likes ELPIPIRIPAU liked this post
    The case is very confusing, it's almost like some other Rado models but none I can find are exactly the same. It's also quite like some vintage Ricoh cases too and, we have seen rare examples of Rado/ Ricoh colab/ frankens in the past however , I won't go down that rabbit hole just now. I think that these ETA 2789's must be among some the first purchased by Rado when they changed to ETA in '68, hence no date code, I say this because this predates the pineapple rotor and I have found examples of the date code being stamped on this style of rotor, almost like an afterthought. When they do stamp the movement, 2789's are date stamped just in front of the movement retaining lug on the base plate. Here's an example of a Conway with that rotor date code. All of the examples I've seen with the rotor date code are very early 70's and that's where I'd place your watch, well, the movement and dial anyway.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 9.01.44 AM.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  99.9 KB
    Last edited by Tim.; Sep 27, 2022 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
    The case is very confusing, it's almost like some other Rado models but none I can find are exactly the same. It's also quite like some vintage Ricoh cases too and, we have seen rare examples of Rado/ Ricoh colab/ frankens in the past however , I won't go down that rabbit hole just now. I think that these ETA 2789's must be among some the first purchased by Rado when they changed to ETA in '68, hence no date code, I say this because this predates the pineapple rotor and I have found examples of the date code being stamped on this style of rotor, almost like an afterthought. When they do stamp the movement, 2789's are date stamped just in front of the movement retaining lug on the base plate. Here's an example of a Conway with that rotor date code. All of the examples I've seen with the rotor date code are very early 70's and that's where I'd place your watch, well, the movement and dial anyway.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 9.01.44 AM.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  99.9 KB
    did think of richo but they had a date push on them

Last edited by Tim.; Sep 27, 2022 at 12:31 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

think it is an orient 70's case think they could take a rado back maybe leave it with me a minute
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

yes something like this

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

11. Likes scottjc liked this post
    several case type that where similar but they always had the extended lug I thought, where the conway is a lot closer but has the crown at four not three ? plus lugs are still not right.

Look alike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes Tim. liked this post
    yes something like this

Well spotted. This is certainly not the first time. I bought a tiger eye 'Rado' many years ago that turned out to be a Ricoh.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches