Likes Likes:  151
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: You know you're old when...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Uhm, what is raving? Am I showing my age? I hit 60 last month.
    Nah, you're just showing your cohort group. I turn 60 in about a week, and I can attest that "raves" started in our epoch. I learned that some DJs were spinning my early albums at the first chill rooms in the late 1980s, but those DJs are antiquated now, too. The strangest reminder of age for me might have been in 2019 when I played a festival in Hanoi Vietnam, and the organizers had assigned volunteer college students to accompany the foreign artists to make sure we stayed safe and got to our destinations on time. I learned I was the same age as their grandparents.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

2. Likes tribe125, geoffbot, mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    Uhm, what is raving? Am I showing my age? I hit 60 last month.
    well came from techno / trance /acid house ebm alot of it came out of FRG germany in the 80's/90's (although their was the same vibe coming out of detroit the same sort of time ) but with out the decent music became rave more into the 90's i was more into house and garage ok maybe a bit of techno too ...

useless fact when the berlin wall came down alot of empty buildings in the gdr was ownless and abandoned where used for massive raves
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Fatboy Slim makes me always think of mid-80's and Housemartins, so that's me revealing my age.
    But that dj-dude is older than me, 60-year old guy throwing raves on Brighton beach.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    No, I mens this. I was one of those people https://youtu.be/IlxlV6y_edQ
    Cheers, M

I have known the existence of Fatboy Slim for decades, but maybe not fully understood his significance and popularity. Most certainly did not know about the 2002 free gig at Brighton Beach with a crowd of 250.000 persons.

Were you also then there, Geoff? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Beach_Boutique_II

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    No, I mens this. I was one of those people https://youtu.be/IlxlV6y_edQ
    Cheers, M

I used to drink in his brother’s pub.

Was there a DJ?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I used to drink in his brother’s pub.
    Cheers, M

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    Was there a DJ?

Sometimes, but it would have been small beer for Fatboy.

And I’ve misremembered - it wasn’t his brother, it was his Uncle Denis, who had been in a band before becoming a publican.

Blimey, Denis is still gigging -

Name:  IMG_6056.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  93.2 KB

Got his own Bose PA and everything.

Name:  IMG_6057.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  54.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    I have known the existence of Fatboy Slim for decades, but maybe not fully understood his significance and popularity. Most certainly did not know about the 2002 free gig at Brighton Beach with a crowd of 250.000 persons.

Were you also then there, Geoff? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Beach_Boutique_II

Alas not that that one mate
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

You know you're old when...

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Nah, you're just showing your cohort group. I turn 60 in about a week, and I can attest that "raves" started in our epoch. I learned that some DJs were spinning my early albums at the first chill rooms in the late 1980s, but those DJs are antiquated now, too. The strangest reminder of age for me might have been in 2019 when I played a festival in Hanoi Vietnam, and the organizers had assigned volunteer college students to accompany the foreign artists to make sure we stayed safe and got to our destinations on time. I learned I was the same age as their grandparents.
    I had a reality check when I was onboarding a new team member and saw his birthday. I’ve been with my company 24 years as of the beginning of the month. I have worked at my company, his entire life. That simple fact was mind boggling to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

12. Likes mlcor, Raza liked this post