Likes Likes:  92
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WRUW Saturday May 18

Blog Entries

Gonna be this one for a while probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    No man over the age of eight should wear a clip-on. If you’re going to take the time to pick the right watch, take the time to learn how to tie the bow tie. It’s not that hard.

Oh, well, too late for today. I try to vigorously avoid black tie events under normal circumstances, it's been at least 10-15 years since I've needed a tux.

3. Likes hayday liked this post
    G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You want the Mako. I have a blue-dial Ray, which is the same watch (sunburst dial?) as best I can tell, I’m thinking about selling. The Mako and the Ray will fit the same.

Attachment 129156
    Attachment 129157
    I goofed earlier. My Orient today is not a Mako II; it's an Orient 2ER00001B (essentially a Sub homage). I corrected the original post.

I'm leaving NYC Tuesday morning, so there's likely no time to purchase another Orient.

Another candidate is my Smiths Commander from Time Factors.

https://www.timefactors.com/products...mmander-prs-60

5. Likes hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Oh, well, too late for today. I try to vigorously avoid black tie events under normal circumstances, it's been at least 10-15 years since I've needed a tux.

I can’t imagine dressing like that. I’m not knocking it, but it would be way outside my comfort zone.

It’s not unimaginable that I would make my excuses and stay home. Fortunately, I’ve never been invited to anything that involves bow ties.

Blog Entries
    No man over the age of eight should wear a clip-on. If you’re going to take the time to pick the right watch, take the time to learn how to tie the bow tie. It’s not that hard.

Another alternative for the future might be a bit of rule bending, including wearing a collar stud or a long tie with your tux.

https://generationtux.com/blog/style...uxedo-with-tie

8. Likes Radharc liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I can’t imagine dressing like that. I’m not knocking it, but it would be way outside my comfort zone.

It’s not unimaginable that I would make my excuses and stay home. Fortunately, I’ve never been invited to anything that involves bow ties.
    Believe me, I’m no more comfortable than you. Only doing it because it’s a charity function we were invited to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Believe me, I’m no more comfortable than you. Only doing it because it’s a charity function we were invited to attend.

I understand.

All dressed up and ready to go. Bonus picture with Lake Michigan in the distance.

Name:  IMG_2109.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2108.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  268.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
    Another alternative for the future might be a bit of rule bending, including wearing a collar stud or a long tie with your tux.

https://generationtux.com/blog/style...uxedo-with-tie

I have no problem with people wearing a tie with a tux, but not just any tie will do. The tie should to be black, I prefer a bit of sheen, but there are some very subtle color and pattern combinations that would work wonderfully. Another alternative is to wear button studs and no tie. The black tux with a black bow tie is the gold standard, both classic and elegant, but there is nothing wrong with bending rules if you can stick the landing.
    Last edited by hayday; May 19, 2024 at 04:04 PM.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Blog Entries
    I have no problem with people wearing a tie with a tux, but not just any tie will do. The tie should to be black, I prefer a bit of sheen, but there are some very subtle color and pattern combinations that would work wonderfully. Another alternative is to wear button studs and no tie. The black tux with a black bow tie is the gold standard, both classic and elegant, but there is nothing wrong with bending rules if you can stick the landing.
    I like the stud with no tie look. I'm less likely to be mistaken for a waiter.

14. Likes hayday liked this post