Likes Likes:  1,113
Page 286 of 293 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 2926

Thread: TV you just love (or at least really like)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I hadn’t seen the trailer, and one minute into episode one you still knew the overall plot. Similarly, the “mysterious man in the mask” was not mysterious at all from the moment he appeared. This overall concept has been done many times, so I’m hoping there will be some more interesting explorations as it moves along. I do agree about Jennifer Connolly still looking fantastic, and Alice Braga isn’t bad, either.
    Yeah, agree with everything you said.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Blog Entries
    Two episodes into the new Netflix show Bodkin and I have to say, I’m really liking it. I didn’t know what to expect with Will Forte starring, but it’s been very good so far. A few jokes missed in the first episode, particularly a running gag that doesn’t really work that well due to overuse, but by the middle of the first episode things start to come together. I was hooked by the end.

In this modern world, the podcaster has replaced the PI, so this seems to be the new format we’re going to get these kinds of whodunnit shows and movies. Instead of a grizzled PI, you’re got a somewhat wide-eyed podcaster with hidden depths and a grizzled and troubled reporter (played by the lovely Siobhán Cullen), playing two sides of the PI game. It’s funny now; there’s much more money in making media about podcasts than there is in podcasts. The bottom of the ad market fell out and now podcasts are struggling to find advertising money. But if you look at the many podcast related series that have been made over the last few years—Only Murders in the Building, Vengeance, Dr. Death, Archive 81, The Dropout, So Help Me Todd, etc—there’s lots of money in making your characters podcasters or basing your show on a podcast. Private eyes are very neo-noir, it almost determines the tone of your show to use one as your protagonist. But with a podcaster, you can do anything. And now that cops are pretty much persona non grata unless you’re part of the CBS crowd, I think we’re in for more investigative shows about podcasters. And if they’re as good as Only Murders or this seems to be, I think I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Two episodes into the new Netflix show Bodkin and I have to say, I’m really liking it. I didn’t know what to expect with Will Forte starring, but it’s been very good so far. A few jokes missed in the first episode, particularly a running gag that doesn’t really work that well due to overuse, but by the middle of the first episode things start to come together. I was hooked by the end.

In this modern world, the podcaster has replaced the PI, so this seems to be the new format we’re going to get these kinds of whodunnit shows and movies. Instead of a grizzled PI, you’re got a somewhat wide-eyed podcaster with hidden depths and a grizzled and troubled reporter (played by the lovely Siobhán Cullen), playing two sides of the PI game. It’s funny now; there’s much more money in making media about podcasts than there is in podcasts. The bottom of the ad market fell out and now podcasts are struggling to find advertising money. But if you look at the many podcast related series that have been made over the last few years—Only Murders in the Building, Vengeance, Dr. Death, Archive 81, The Dropout, So Help Me Todd, etc—there’s lots of money in making your characters podcasters or basing your show on a podcast. Private eyes are very neo-noir, it almost determines the tone of your show to use one as your protagonist. But with a podcaster, you can do anything. And now that cops are pretty much persona non grata unless you’re part of the CBS crowd, I think we’re in for more investigative shows about podcasters. And if they’re as good as Only Murders or this seems to be, I think I can live with that.
    OK, putting it on my (growing) list.

Sugar was excellent
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

5. Likes Raza liked this post
    Just finished episode two of Dark Matter. Question--why does it take someone who supposedly is a brilliant theoretical physicist so long to figure out what happened? Hard to reconcile. I mean, he's dumber than the average TV watcher who figured it out in the first ten minutes of episode one?

I'll keep going but it's going to be easy to lose patience unless it starts to improve. Despite Jennifer Connelly...

P.S. @Raza, did you give A Gentleman from Moscow a try yet?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Just finished episode two of Dark Matter. Question--why does it take someone who supposedly is a brilliant theoretical physicist so long to figure out what happened? Hard to reconcile. I mean, he's dumber than the average TV watcher who figured it out in the first ten minutes of episode one?

I'll keep going but it's going to be easy to lose patience unless it starts to improve. Despite Jennifer Connelly...

P.S. @Raza, did you give A Gentleman from Moscow a try yet?
    He did get hit really hard in the head. That has to take a toll on the ol’ IQ.

I haven’t, it’s also on the long list. I was between it and Bodkin and Bodkin won the coin toss. So A Gentleman is up next.

8. Likes mlcor liked this post
    He was injected with mind altering drugs. Also he knows what happened, but he's pretending that he didn't, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    He was injected with mind altering drugs. Also he knows what happened, but he's pretending that he didn't, I think.
    A likely story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Let’s not pretend that we haven’t all been kidnapped and injected with mind altering drugs by our doppelgänger from a parallel universe. We all managed to figure it out immediately and find a way back, and we’re not even physicists.

12. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Let’s not pretend that we haven’t all been kidnapped and injected with mind altering drugs by our doppelgänger from a parallel universe. We all managed to figure it out immediately and find a way back, and we’re not even physicists.
    That's what I told my ex wife once after a 3 day bender. Not sure she believed me.