Likes Likes:  226
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaving

So, all my kit arrived earlier in the week and I have the opportunity to try it a couple of times so far.
    I can see the potential but I definitely need more practice. I couldn't get a close shave to my cheeks and I ended up with horrible burn under my jaw line but I'm sure those are both down to blade choice and, most probably, technique.
    I've ordered a full set of sample blades so I can see how different they all are and find one that suits my skin and beard growth.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

I settled on the Feather razor, Kent badger brush.....Here's a trick for Feather blades, it's called "corking" take a new blade, run it once thru a cork,
    pencil eraser can be used,this takes a slight edge off the blade. I tried it, couldn't tell a diff. but others swear by it.

3. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Thanks for the tip LBG but I think I'm a long way off even trying the Feathers yet.

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    So, all my kit arrived earlier in the week and I have the opportunity to try it a couple of times so far.
    I can see the potential but I definitely need more practice. I couldn't get a close shave to my cheeks and I ended up with horrible burn under my jaw line but I'm sure those are both down to blade choice and, most probably, technique.
    I've ordered a full set of sample blades so I can see how different they all are and find one that suits my skin and beard growth.
    I've heard a lot of people use Thayers witch hazel as an after shave/razor burn preventative. I just picked up a bottle of the rose petal variation. I'll let you know how it works out.

6. Likes scottjc liked this post
    I used an Alun block which took the edge off the burn but it was still sore afterwards.
    I'll be interested to hear your thought on the Thayers.

Just ordered a Merkur Progress. Should be here Monday. Can't wait to add it to the shaving den!

Savagely Average
    I just prefer my Schick Quattro. I have tried probably a dozen other razors of various designs, but I keep coming back to this basic little OTC razor.

10. Likes pantagruel liked this post
    Shaken, not stirred.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  114.2 KB

I've been using a DE for a number of years and have found that a good Silvertip badger brush, double walled stainless bowl and a shorter handled Edwin Jagger razor for travel and a heavier, longer handled Parker for home a comfortable combination.
    You can always earn more money but you can't earn more time.

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    I used an Alun block which took the edge off the burn but it was still sore afterwards.
    I'll be interested to hear your thought on the Thayers.
    So, the Thayers worked. I was a bit more aggressive on this last shave than the first with the DE Weber (even got a few weepers), and two days later I have no razor burn. I was surprised. The scent is milder than a typical aftershave and since it has no alcohol, the refreshing burn/tingle that aftershaves provide wasn't there, which for me is kind of a downside. But I'll keep using it. I may try other scents/blends.

13. Likes scottjc liked this post
    Some cheap and fun to play with, Home Made Aftershaves.
    Cheap rum, pour into a tight seal jar, add 8-12 bay leaves, couple of cloves, 0ne cinnamon stick.. Seal, place in dark cool place for a couple of months, gently shake once a week.
    Strain thru coffee filter, bottle, use.
    Cheap gin or vodka,same jar thing, add bay leaves,lemon or lime or both, just the zest,not the white pulp under the skin.Same thing for storage then filter, use.
    Bay leaves act as an astringent in these aftershaves, not as a scent.

15. Likes Ryan, scottjc liked this post