Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New arrival - Archimede Pilot 39h

New arrival - Archimede Pilot 39h

This isn't a full review, more a few pics and my first impressions.
    I'd been wanting a flieger for a long time and had considered the Archimede Pilot-M (as it was then) in my early days as a watch fan. I also looked at the Stowa Airman, but the Archimede is slightly smaller and a much better size for me.

The watch arrived today and I'm very happy with it. Archimede took a while to ship (although well within the 1 to 2 weeks they quoted). Once it was in the mail it got to me in 3 days.

I'd heard that Archimede includes sweets with each order and I heard right, which is great because HARIBO!

The case on this is excellent, as expected based on what I'd read when researching it. The crown is probably my favourite part of the whole watch, beautifully machined and designed and the A logo suits it perfectly. I'm also very happy with the size, it has presence, without being too big.
    The dial, plain as it is, is very well executed. The slightly aged style lume looks great and glows like a torch. The blued hands add a nice bit of colour to the otherwise plain watch. In some lights you barely notice it, in others it really jumps out at you.
    The strap is one source of disappointment:
    1) It's slightly too long for me (which I kind of expected).
    2) It's just not that great.
    I've ordered a short, black non-riveted one from Stowa for 20 euros so will see how that works with it, for now I have it on a leather nato, which actually works very well.

The other slight disappointment is the fact that Archimede have used a movement with a date, despite the lack of a date window, but I can live with that.

If you want to read more,GlennO posted an excellent review of the bronze version here:
    http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...onze-Pilot-39H
    Last edited by whatmeworry; Apr 16, 2015 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    The other slight disappointment is the fact that Archimede have used a movement with a date, despite the lack of a date window, but I can live with that.
    Cheaper for them to buy 1000 of one movement than a ratio of each (and easier for stock control 'stuff' I expect ) , it doesn't bother me.... I bought a (no date obviously) Laco Memmingen Flieger , a pretty penny at 850 euros... it too used a date movement...
    It's no big deal , only you can hear or feel the date change at some random time in the day or night , cos they don't bother setting the hands to the time in relation to the date when you can't see it.

Looks cool , I'm loving that suede strap in the first fe pics , still want it ? :-)

... the lack of a date window,
    I consider that a big PLUS - I think it would be a shame to cut into the clean uncluttered dial.
    Loving the blue hands, lume, and the overall clarity of display; but not so sure about the crown..... As nice as it is, I can't help but think it'll be forever stabbing me in the back of the hand
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

In my date-free 2824, I've never noticed the date mechanism, there's just the blank position when pulling out the crown. How would I be able? #clueless

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Cheaper for them to buy 1000 of one movement than a ratio of each (and easier for stock control 'stuff' I expect ) , it doesn't bother me.... I bought a (no date obviously) Laco Memmingen Flieger , a pretty penny at 850 euros... it too used a date movement...
    It's no big deal , only you can hear or feel the date change at some random time in the day or night , cos they don't bother setting the hands to the time in relation to the date when you can't see it.

Looks cool , I'm loving that suede strap in the first fe pics , still want it ? :-)
    Ha ha, I think I'll hang onto the strap in case I ever sell the watch

6. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Ha ha, I think I'll hang onto the strap in case I ever sell the watch
    It does feel nice saying in ads "unworn factory strap"

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    I consider that a big PLUS - I think it would be a shame to cut into the clean uncluttered dial.
    Loving the blue hands, lume, and the overall clarity of display; but not so sure about the crown..... As nice as it is, I can't help but think it'll be forever stabbing me in the back of the hand
    Yeah, I deliberately chose the no date version as the placement of the date window is, IMHO, pretty awful

The crown has been absolutely fine so far - no stabbing at all

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    In my date-free 2824, I've never noticed the date mechanism, there's just the blank position when pulling out the crown. How would I be able? #clueless
    As seriously said, you will feel it click over at some point while you're wearing or setting the watch

Thanks for a nice mini-review , Olly. Your watch looks really nice on the brown leather nato, as well as the suede strap. Enjoy your new acquisition!

Very nice! The Archimede fliegers look great with that crown. I've heard nothing but good things about their watches and I've always been curious to try one out. Enjoy it!