Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regeneration

Blog Entries

Regeneration

In April 1917 a young Canadian soldier named Leslie Miller walked through a devastated forest on Vimy Ridge. At the base of a shattered French oak he discovered a few acorns.
    Miller had already been wounded twice in the battles of World War I and he considered his future rather uncertain to say the least. He determined to do something for the future anyway. He stuffed the acorns into his overcoat pocket, and when he got a chance he sent them back home to rural Ontario with the request they be planted on some property he owned there - just in case he didn't come back.
    And so it was done. Happily Les Miller did survive the War and when he got back in 1919 he found 9 oak saplings firmly rooted and growing tall.
    Mr. Miller devoted the rest of his life to the care and feeding of those oaks. After his death in 1979 the property - by now part of suburban Toronto - became the site of a Baptist church. But the towering oaks were left undisturbed.
    By 2014 Les Miller's mighty oaks were struggling a bit. They had suffered in an ice storm the previous winter so they were not producing a lot of acorns - and the hungry squirrels in the neighborhood seemed intent on getting every one. So a bunch of arborists from Hamilton have clipped some healthy branches from the oaks and intend to graft them onto some newly acquired French oak stocks.
    The plan is to have around 300 oak "cousins" growing strong by 2017. At that point the Canadian government will arrange to have them flown back to France and planted on Vimy Ridge - at the exact spot where Leslie Miller discovered the acorns a century ago.
    It'll be the first oak forest on Vimy Ridge since before 1914.
    Somehow I think Mr. Miller would be heartily pleased.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

That's a positive story, Ray, in this period of negativity.

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.

I'm sure you meant 2017, and I did read something about this in the local news here (my shop is in Hamilton). I'm actually pretty sure I'll only have a degree of separation from the arborists, I have a friend that knows basically all professional arborists in Southern Ontario, and he has helped me obtain services numerous times for all of my properties.

Great story.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Nice to be remembered like that.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Cool story
    Last edited by Seriously; Jan 28, 2015 at 12:10 PM. Reason: edited to remove Ray's mystayke

7. Likes igo69 liked this post
    Nice story indeed.

I have few possessions and I don't have children. But I've planted over 50 trees on my property and hopefully they will be around well into the future, long after my watches are buried in landfill.

Great story- things are really gearing up here in Australia to mark 100 years since the Australian troops landed in Gallipoli on April 25th 1015. This is a sacred day for Australians and New Zealanders. The centenary is going to be a massive event.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

10. Likes GlennO liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    Great story- things are really gearing up here in Australia to mark 100 years since the Australian troops landed in Gallipoli on April 25th 1015. This is a sacred day for Australians and New Zealanders. The centenary is going to be a massive event.
    Indeed, but I think 1915 is the date you're looking for.

12. Likes CamB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Indeed, but I think 1915 is the date you're looking for.
    indeed- fixed that
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1