Likes Likes:  53
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't think I've ever posted this before.

Don't think I've ever posted this before.

One of the two watches that got me into this bad, bad, bad expensive hobby. There was this broken pocket watch at my wife's folks place. It sat on the mantle and my wife's Mom referred to it as "Dad's watch" and C and I always assumed she meant C's Dad. C's folks had said they tried to get it fixed but were told it couldn't be done. I suspect they tried in the late seventies and probably took it to a department store watch repair. After C's Mom passed we cleaned out her condo and I decided to take it in to "that cranky old guy in Dave's building". Horst tracked down the required bushings and gave the watch a gentle polish within three weeks.

I present my wife's Grandfather's 1905 size sixteen seven jewel lever set South Bend. Her Grandfather emigrated from Norway to Minnesota, where else?, in the 1880s and then up to Saskatchewan sometime before my wife's Father was born, pre-1912. He brought this along with him:

The porcelain dial has one small crack by the lever.

As far as we can ascertain the only parts that are not original are the replaced bushings and it has spent it's entire 109 years in one family.

Here is a painting I did of the movement.

Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Dec 9, 2014 at 04:23 PM.

All aspects of it, Beautiful, really beautiful

3. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    lovely back story Henry and really quite a talent there also -i'm guessing you send your own xmas card out !

5. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Nice watch, excellent photos and interesting history..

7. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    That is stunning, and comes with a great story. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
    Proud veteran of the Military Watches Collection thread. 18th February 2014-22nd November 2014. Gone but never forgotten.

My watch blog - Wristwatch Review UK | Seagull1963.co.uk

9. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    lovely back story Henry and really quite a talent there also -i'm guessing you send your own xmas card out !
    I do. When I remember to make one...

11. Likes shameless liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    Last year's was quite a bit of fun. I did two. They were both process prints of painting I did of Las Vegas neon signs. I printed them on a chrome silver paper and did the neon in luminous ink.

Not very Christmas-y but a lot of fun! The original paintings.

Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Dec 9, 2014 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Last year's was quite a bit of fun. I did two. They were both process prints of painting I did of Las Vegas neon signs. I printed them on a chrome silver paper and did the neon in luminous ink.

Not very Christmas-y but a lot of fun! The original paintings.

brilliant artwork Henry -a neon Father Christmas would most definitely be the one !!!

That's really rather gorgeous
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

15. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    pretty cool dude

17. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post