Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny realization

Funny realization

Count me as one of the people who's irritated by the fact the El Primero doesn't hack. Maybe not irritated, but bummed.

So I'm looking at my watch and thinking. Normally, with a watch that's running a little fast you would just hack it every now and then and let the clock catch up. Without a hack, that's out the door.

I just realized that when the watch is 60 seconds fast, I can move it back one minute. Problem solved.

For Zenith owners I'm sure this is a dumb thought, but now I have order and logic to deal with something previously thought to be chaotic and illogical.

You're welcome to laugh openly at me.

I have a similar irk about rusky 3133's with no quick date set, but the movement is so beautiful I forgive it all the way to the watch box

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    I have a similar irk about rusky 3133's with no quick date set, but the movement is so beautiful I forgive it all the way to the watch box
    Reminds me of my old Landmaster spring drive that took forever to set the date if it ran down. I don't care what anyone says, anything other than 30 seconds to set a date makes a watch a PITA.

Blog Entries
    Better not get any Russian watches then. A Vostok auto you crank back and forth between 9 PM and 3 AM to advance one day. And that *is* a quick set feature..they say.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Sorry to derail a thread in the zenith section, but with the 3133, you get into a rhythm between ~10pm and 12, it's not that time consuming... unless you're unlucky enough to want the polar opposite of the month

Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    Better not get any Russian watches then. A Vostok auto you crank back and forth between 9 PM and 3 AM to advance one day. And that *is* a quick set feature..they say.
    I have an old Oceanographer like that. It's from the late '60s. It was my grandfather's.

Can't you hack it by setting the time backwards so as to stop the watch through the canon pinion and then release the back pressure when appropriate? It's an old trick but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I have an old Oceanographer like that. It's from the late '60s. It was my grandfather's.
    Same. Has a crown so tight from water resistance, I got a nasty blister last time I set it.

"He's just a witness"

9. Likes Rob liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Can't you hack it by setting the time backwards so as to stop the watch through the canon pinion and then release the back pressure when appropriate? It's an old trick but it works.
    It starts running backwards like a Chinese movement.

Yep, that's what I do with my EP. I don't bother to set my mechanicals to the second, when I know they're off tomorrow anyway. -60 to +60 is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I just realized that when the watch is 60 seconds fast, I can move it back one minute. Problem solved.

For Zenith owners I'm sure this is a dumb thought, but now I have order and logic to deal with something previously thought to be chaotic and illogical.