Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negotiating Prices in Europe

Negotiating Prices in Europe

Out of curiosity, do dealers in Europe negotiate on price like US ADs do? I ask because I will be traveling to France and Italy in a few months and with the current exchange rates thought it might be advantageous to try. I looked at some pieces at Wempe in Paris last November but the Euro was much strong then and even with a discount it wouldn't have made sense to buy. Just curious how the system works there.
    If it helps at all, the major cities I'll be in Paris and Florence. We'll also be in Positano and San Gimignano but I'm not expecting much in terms of watch shopping there.

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    I can only guess at France and Italy, but many British grey-market watches come from Italy, so that may be a clue.

Wempe are extremely reluctant to give any discount. They don't have to, really - they have plenty of customers who hardly look at the price. If you don't buy the watch at full-price the next person who walks through the door probably will.

I think Paris has the same Chinese shoppers as London. Our prices look good to them so they jet all the way over and scoop things up at full-price.

Independent dealers in Florence may be your best bet.

On a recent trip to London MrsO went shopping for me in Wempe.
    With a favorable exchange rate and reclaiming the VAT on departure I saved over $600 on $2300 compared to US prices. Without any discounts.
    Last edited by MarkO; Mar 20, 2015 at 01:28 AM. Reason: 9
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    On a recent trip to London MrsO went shopping for me in Wempe.
    With a favorable exchange rate and reclaiming the VAT on departure I saved over $600 on $2500 compared to US prices. Without any discounts.
    A favorable exchange rate in London? The Pound Sterling is pretty strong against the USD. That's great though. What I really want is the Nomos Zurich World Timer blue dial. Saw it at Wempe in Paris. Not sure where else I might find it. Only dealer I've been to in Boston won't budge on price. Going to Dallas in a few weeks and may try a Nomos dealer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanpatrick View Post
    A favorable exchange rate in London? The Pound Sterling is pretty strong against the USD. That's great though. What I really want is the Nomos Zurich World Timer blue dial. Saw it at Wempe in Paris. Not sure where else I might find it. Only dealer I've been to in Boston won't budge on price. Going to Dallas in a few weeks and may try a Nomos dealer there.
    The US price on the Nomos Store for Zurich World Timer is $6100.
    The UK Price is £3850, if you claim the VAT back on departure as a non-UK resident you will get a refund taking the price to £3080.
    At the current exchange rate that is. $4547. A saving of $1553 without asking for a discount.

If you buy in Euro the price on the Nomos Store is €4300. Paying full price that at current exchange rate is $4594.
    Order online and get it shipped to your hotel !

The US price on the Nomos Store for Zurich World Timer is $6100.
    The UK Price is £3850, if you claim the VAT back on departure as a non-UK resident you will get a refund taking the price to £3080.
    At the current exchange rate that is. $4547. A saving of $1553 without asking for a discount.

If you buy in Euro the price on the Nomos Store is €4300. Paying full price that at current exchange rate is $4594.
    Order online and get it shipped to your hotel !
    Holy crap! That's amazing! Thanks for the tips. Gonna have to make the World Timer happen on this trip.

Just keep an eye on the store site, the one you want is out of stock for 2-3 months. But that may still work with your timings. Sometimes they put that as a worst case scenario.

Can you send me a link to the European store? I can't seem to get it to pull up. Thanks in advance.

Just keep an eye on the store site, the one you want is out of stock for 2-3 months. But that may still work with your timings. Sometimes they put that as a worst case scenario.

Only ever bought in the UK. Grey market is often 15-20% cheaper than AD, and you can often even negotiate further. Then claim your vat back when you leave the country.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

I've told you before Mark..... NO YOU DON'T

Taking the 20% VAT that's already in £3850 results in £3208.3333

Anything that gets you anything less than that is simple discount offered by them.