Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEMANIA movement - Truly gobsmacking great or a cult object?

LEMANIA movement - Truly gobsmacking great or a cult object?

What's the big deal?
    If it is so great, why do they not revive it?

It seems to me to be another case of mob pedantry in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    What's the big deal?
    If it is so great, why do they not revive it?

It seems to me to be another case of mob pedantry in action.
    it's revived, Swatch uses the new version allready in the "Right track" chrono. I'm sure it will come to other models from the Swatch group sooner or later.
    The movement is now called ETA C01.211

3. Likes Chronopolitano, FuzzyB liked this post
    Which one? Theres quite a number of them isn't there?

Or do you mean the "iconic" one used in the Omega Speedmaster?

Either way I don't know a lot about them either so would be happy to hear other replies.

* No help to your post whatsoever !

Quote Originally Posted by I-B View Post
    it's revived, Swatch uses the new version allready in the "Right track" chrono. I'm sure it will come to other models from the Swatch group sooner or later.
    The movement is now called ETA C01.211
    What's that?

6. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    What's that?
    it's the watch model/name. This model is used to launch the movement. Swatch-group pre-releases a lot of new movements in the Swatch models. they give no information about their movements, and usually discontinue the watches after 1 season or semester. If you follow their models you can do great deals

Name:  svgk407.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  102.2 KB
    this is the right-track, it has a Lemania 5100 (v2.0) / ETA C01.211 movement with a 7750 layout of the subdials

8. Likes Chronopolitano, FuzzyB liked this post
    So no central minute counter, day display and 24-hour display? Does not make it a 5100 v.2 to me.

What's the point of this movement in addition to good ol' 7750, lower manufacturing cost I presume if used in Swatches and Tissots.

Lemania 5100 (v2.0) / ETA C01.211 movement with a 7750 layout of the subdials
    Last edited by Fantasio; Feb 5, 2015 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasio View Post
    So no central minute counter, day display and 24-hour display? Does not make it a 5100 v.2 to me.

What's the point of this movement in addition to good ol' 7750, lower manufacturing cost I presume.
    It's a cheaper and more modern alternative to the 7750. The new version can be found in some Tissot models. It may also have been used in a Hamilton model but I would have to look that up.

For example, I bought my Swatch Right Track for about $200 new. It would be hard to find any 7750 movement for that price, new or used.

I would have loved to see a return of the central minute counter but for the price I can't complain.

to develop the movement they started with the Lemania 5100, that's a fact, not a personal opinion.

What's the point of this movement in addition to good ol' 7750, lower manufacturing cost I presume.
    They have chosen the Lemania movement becouse it already used plastic pieces in it, so yes, lower the productioncost seems a valid reason IMO

12. Likes Der Amf liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Steppy View Post
    Which one? Theres quite a number of them isn't there?

Or do you mean the "iconic" one used in the Omega Speedmaster?

Either way I don't know a lot about them either so would be happy to hear other replies.

* No help to your post whatsoever !
    Lemania made several great movements. The 5100 seems to get the most attention, but the Omega Speedy Pro is powered by a movement based on the Lemania 1873. That is a solid movement by almost everyone's standards.

My favorite Lemania is the 8810. For a while it held the record for thinnest automatic movement or thinnest automatic movement with a date. Several manufacturers have used that movement, including Breguet, which owns the Lemania brand now.

The 8810 is not only remarkable for the thinness of the movement, it is 2.95mm thick, but it is also a twin barrel design. The twin barrels are arranged to provided a flatter power curve and improve isochronism.

I have that movement in my RGM TZLE and it is impressively thin considering it has a date and full size rotor.

Here's a photo of my watches with the 8810. One with a gold rotor and one with stainless steel.

14. Likes I-B, Steppy, DJW GB, Chronopolitano, Domo, Nutty28, DM71 liked this post
    I refuse to change a good opinion because of mere facts.

to develop the movement they started with the Lemania 5100, that's a fact, not a personal opinion.

16. Likes Chronopolitano, Martin, DM71, Perseus liked this post