Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What this 'hobby' has cost me....

What this 'hobby' has cost me....

Inspired by another thread elsewhere, I was intrigued to put a value on what this hobby actually cost me in recent years.
    I was always a closet WIS but properly 'came out' towards the middle of 2012. In that time I have purchased approximately 20 or so watches varying in price from £40 to £1300. I have sold most of those and have retained a few. I have purchased a few parts for modifications, a few bits and bobs like springbars, consumables, tools, straps etc. I have also included a fairly accurate tally of servicing costs and expert fitting etc.
    So, my total spend in those 3 years is about £5300. I have sold approximately £2500 worth of watch, therefore my running total is around the £3000 mark, or £1000 per year of WISdom. I would say that's not bad considering the pleasure. Or, to look at it another way, 400 posts on WUS and 150 or so here, that's about £5.50 per post.

2. Likes Der Amf, popoki nui liked this post
    Started roughly same time and have purchased 7 watches about 8 additional straps, had one old watch repaired with a new movement and sold nothing.
    To be honest I don't really want to add it up.
    At least in my defense my single biggest purchase was for MrsO.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

4. Likes Der Amf, popoki nui liked this post
    Rounding up all the way, I'm still under 25p per post

6. Likes scottjc, Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Started roughly same time and have purchased 7 watches about 8 additional straps, had one old watch repaired with a new movement and sold nothing.
    To be honest I don't really want to add it up.
    At least in my defense my single biggest purchase was for MrsO.
    Ha, gifts weren't included in my total. Also excluded was servicing and repairs on my father's old Smiths watch.

My story is a bit different. Before getting in to the forums (somewhere medio 2012), i only bought watches from expensive, well known brands. My only influence at that point was the corporate B2B-world where i work in. Rolex was the "entry-level"-brand in that world. As a WIS i learned about Chinese watches, rediscovered quartz, i started to use g-shocks instead of a Rolex GMT2 as beaters, i started to wear affordables such as the SARB017,Swatch, Bjwaf etc. So my watch-costs have enormously decreased since i entered the world of WISdom..

9. Likes iyonk, MHe225, FuzzyB liked this post
    Every hobby has its financial cost and , my ex wife is a very good golfer and is still a member at one the most expensive clubs in the country. Club fees, lesson, clubs , balls, lunches etc…..it never ended and like some of the posters above, we never added it all up because at the end of the day, she loved it and it was her life. She certainly spent way more on that than I did on watches on gof. Photography is another that you can spend a fortune on.
    My point is that the whole concept of COST must be weighed up with the pleasure a hobby can bring.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

Quote Originally Posted by CamB
    Every hobby has its financial cost and , my ex wife .... She certainly spent way more on that than I did on watches on gof....
    Hope I'm not hitting a raw nerve here and please let me know if I do; I will then apologize and remove this post.
    But right now I can't resist, because this seems too funny to let pass:
    1. your ex wife is / was a hobby?
    2. she spent a lot on gof - that's a type for sure .... did you mean Geoff or Golf?

One of my coworkers drives a Ferrari and claims he funds it with all the money ha\e hasn't spent on golf - over the years I've heard stunning examples of how expensive a hobby golf can be. I always thought "you just buy a few sticks and start hitting balls" (spoken like a true non-golfer), but there is more to it.

My story is similar to I-B's: I had already purchased the top pieces in my collection long before I became a WIS and signed up with some fora. My view and taste has since broadened and I have added quite a few more watches, but spent significantly less after joining than before. That said, I refuse to add up the cost; it's a hobby, funded by discretionary / disposable cash. And when that dries up, then I'm also not buying watches.

A funny side-note / thought: at times I struggle "justifying" yet another purchase, but don't think twice when donating to charities. That's (substantially more) money just gone with nothing in return (for me personally). Isn't that funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf
    Rounding up all the way, I'm still under 25p per post
    I'll start working on my post-count as it will make this hobby cheaper and get me to those badges .....
    Last edited by MHe225; Feb 21, 2015 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo's - I too need proofreading
    IWL member 90

Cost me? I don't see it that way. I justify it to my beloved as a saving scheme. I don't buy new and I'm a complete ebay tart. as such, I'm pretty damn certain that not only would I not make a loss if I sold off my collection, but I'd be disappointed if I didn't at least double my money.

13. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Far less than my other hobbies...

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Hope I'm not hitting a raw nerve here and please let me know if I do; I will then apologize and remove this post. But right now I can't resist, because this seems to funny to let pass:
    1. your ex wife is / was a hobby?
    2. she spent a lot on gof - that's a type for sure .... did you mean Geoff or Golf?

One of my coworkers drives a Ferrari and claims he funds it with all the money ha hasn't spent on golf - over the years I've heard stunning examples of how expensive a hobby golf can be. I always thought "you just buy a few sticks and start hitting balls" (spoken like a true non-golfer), but there is more to it.

My story is similar to I-B's: I had already purchased the top pieces in my collection long before I became a WIS and signed up with some fora. My view and taste has since broadened and I have added quite a few more watches, but spent significantly less after joining than before. That said, I refuse to add up the cost; it's a hobby, funded by discretionary / disposable cash. And when that dries up, then I'm also not buying watches.

A funny side-note / thought: at times I struggle "justifying" yet another purchase, but don't think twice when donating to charities. That's (substantially more) money just gone with nothing in return (for me personally). Isn't that funny?

I'll start working on my post-count as it will make this hobby cheaper and get me to those badges .....

Haha yes she plays golf - should proof read sometimes!!!!
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

16. Likes MHe225 liked this post