Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning something new every day

Learning something new every day

Of all the tired cliches in my repertoire, you learn something new every day is near the top

So the bit of watchy wisdom I learnt today was that swapping to a strap made of softer, more pliant leather makes a watch feel heavier, as the greater flexibility allows gravity to do more of its work.

I swapped it back to the stiffer strap immediately, cursing the extra weight that comes with an auto's rotor.

What have you learnt recently?
    Last edited by Der Amf; May 4, 2015 at 07:40 PM.

2. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    I learned (ok re-learned) that if you are undoing your NATO strap at your desk and your wrist is upside down don't let go of the (what do you call the "not buckle end"?) of the strap or the watch will fall face first with a resounding "thud" on your desk causing your heart to jump beat (pretty much like a jump hour) a little and thoughts of exploding springs, jewels, plates, forks and gears go flying about like a tiny watch packed nuclear explosion ripping through your office embedding shrapnel in your walls, desk and various body parts.

I also just learned I can do a pretty good Faulkner stream of consciousness impersonation (obviously not the same skill level).
    Last edited by bu11itt; May 5, 2015 at 05:58 PM.

4. Likes FuzzyB, tempocalypse, Der Amf, JAGtime liked this post
    A tiny piece of fluff on the dial of my f71 watch had bothered me from day 1. Yesterday I used a squash ball to take off the case back (a trick I heard ages ago but had never tried), googled 'remove miyota 8215 stem, did so, and movement, removed said fluff then recased. Kinda pleased with myself
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

^^^^^huge round of applause from here

7. Likes rfortson liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    ^^^^^huge round of applause from here
    Name:  58840619.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  103.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Name:  58840619.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  103.9 KB
    Did the rep that came with the post not help you answer that?

10. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Thanks - I hadn't received that! It's rather easy to be fair, but I was nervous about damaging or dirtying something.

The world is full of things made worse by well-meaning people and I've no intention of risking adding to the pile

Hence the round of applause
    Last edited by Der Amf; May 5, 2015 at 12:10 PM.

Wow! Rep sarcasm, that's brutal

14. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Typing on a MacBook is a scary thing when wearing a watch with a bracelet. You don't know what's going to take more damage, the clasp or the computer.