Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life after life.

Life after life.

"Still On Time" by Stefania Santarcangelo.
    The jewels are assembled with different parts of old clocks.

Name:  still_1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  57.2 KB
    Name:  still_2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  84.5 KB

Has anybody here done anything like that with their broken pieces?
    If so, post the pictures, please...

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNomad View Post
    "Still On Time" by Stefania Santarcangelo.
    The jewels are assembled with different parts of old clocks.

Name:  still_2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  84.5 KB

Has anybody here done anything like that with their broken pieces?
    If so, post the pictures, please...
    Sorry to come across as hopelessly negative about this trend and please don't take it personally, but I expressed my opinion on this sort of thing a while back.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/wor...tz-320925.html

My opinion hasn't changed. My broken pieces go in a series of draws marked 'spares'.
    Last edited by Matt; Apr 26, 2015 at 01:58 PM.

^^ That's just hopelessly negative

Personally, the 1st example looks positively dangerous, the 2nd looks like no thought went into it whatsoever ..... kind of 'Hmmmmmm let's stick a dog on it' and that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    the 2nd looks like no thought went into it whatsoever ..... kind of 'Hmmmmmm let's stick a dog on it' and that was it.
    I think if you turn the gears, it makes the dog poop little gold nuggets.
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sorry to come across as hopelessly negative about this trend and please don't take it personally, but I expressed my opinion on this sort of thing a while back.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/wor...tz-320925.html

My opinion hasn't changed. My broken pieces go in a series of draws marked 'spares'.
    It's OK, no offence taken...

Ouch! That was the first time I saw watches parts used as a jewellery, but after I checked your post on WUS - ouch!
    On the other hand I don't think too many classic/antique/collectible pieces were smashed for steampank parts.
    I believe it's like in "Shiny Beads" store - all those no-name beads dime-a-bucket are all over the place,
    but Swarovski and such -behind the counter in a glass cabinet. How much does that Omega ring cost?

I can explain that set of 30 Russian classic pieces: there was a man in Russia, just like you, who loved, and knew and fixed watches.
    When he had an odd piece for which he didn't have parts or when he didn't have time to fix it, he put them in the bucket.
    Well, after a few decades the bucket became full, and that's when that man eh... kicked the bucket.
    But his children had no interest in his trade/hobby, so they put everything on e-bay to get rid of all that garbage and make few bucks....
    Sad story...
    Usually, I tell inspiring stories, but I am depressed and those broken pieces like mounted animals or hunting trophies, which is art too...

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

It's OK, no offence taken...

Ouch! That was the first time I saw watches parts used as a jewellery, but after I checked your post on WUS - ouch!
    On the other hand I don't think too many classic/antique/collectible pieces were smashed for steampank parts.
    I believe it's like in "Shiny Beads" store - all those no-name beads dime-a-bucket are all over the place,
    but Swarovski and such -behind the counter in a glass cabinet. How much does that Omega ring cost?

I can explain that set of 30 Russian classic pieces: there was a man in Russia, just like you, who loved, and knew and fixed watches.
    When he had an odd piece for which he didn't have parts or when he didn't have time to fix it, he put them in the bucket.
    Well, after a few decades the bucket became full, and that's when that man eh... kicked the bucket.
    But his children had no interest in his trade/hobby, so they put everything on e-bay to get rid of all that garbage and make few bucks....
    Sad story...
    Usually, I tell inspiring stories, but I am depressed and those broken pieces like mounted animals or hunting trophies, which is art too...

The problem is that, when it comes to mechanicals, if it looks nice enough to make jewellery it usually is nice. Even older ETA pieces can keep some extremely nice watches on the road. Another example, whisper it quietly, but there is parts interchangability between some early Gruen stuff (which no one would think twice about turning into cufflinks) and early Rolex stuff which might be worth a small fortune. So sure, if you know what you are doing and can be sure that a part is beyond economic repair and so on or that a movement is simply not interesting then perhaps, but if not then you might, for example, stick a dog on a reasonably rare old ETA back from when they were the movement arm of Eterna rather than Swatch and in doing so make parts availability that bit more difficult.

I think they are unique. Obviously not used for the intended purpose, but creative non the less.

Not sure they appeal to me that much, but it is nice to see spare parts being re-purposed, no matter how arts and crafty it may seem.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The problem is...
    Well, I guess there's not much you can do about it... To bad... I just saw somthng new, didn't think it might hurt horological eco-sphere. Yeah, every lost piece is like lost species. Shoot, damn punks....

Shoot, damn punks....
    Oi ! Real punks don't wear jewellery apart from the odd safety-pin, chain, and padlock
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Blog Entries

She needs a fill in on her acrylics.

Jeannie
    The adventures of Bob the Traveling Watch

. . . . . . . . . .

11. Likes Der Amf, Matt liked this post