Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grail vs a build (PAM content)

Grail vs a build (PAM content)

So I have to admit I am a big fan of Panerai. I absolutely love the history of the company and I love the vintage watches.

But here is my problem. I really like the styling of the vintage watches over the new ones.

vs

The old has the resin filled dial, acrylic crystal and no registered TM on the crown guard. Of coarse I have realistically a 0% chance of owning a vintage Panerai due to cost.

Is there a modern Panerai which has an acrylic crystal, resin filled dial and a no registered TM crown? It could also just have no crown guard. And can it be found for a reasonable price?

Or rather then spending my money on something that isn't quite what I want should I just build it? There are a couple very high quality homage vintage Panerai case makers and I could add a Angelus 240 7 day movement like the original 6152. Obviously it wouldn't be labeled as a Panerai but that is the only thing it would be missing. In all honesty it wouldn't save me much money (the case about $450 and movement probably about $1.2k-$1.5k including servicing) over a second hand genuine but I would have exactly what I want. Plus I'd get say I built it and I could put a little individual touch to it to make it one of a kind.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Jul 22, 2015 at 01:57 PM.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Blog Entries
    Don't know much about the Panerai line's nuances, I'm afraid. They all look largely the same to me.

It it struck me though, that, other than the crown guard, the vintage model looks more like a modern Radiomir than a modern Luminor. Perhaps take a look at those?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Don't know much about the Panerai line's nuances, I'm afraid. They all look largely the same to me.

It it struck me though, that, other than the crown guard, the vintage model looks more like a modern Radiomir than a modern Luminor. Perhaps take a look at those?
    Depends on the case.

Modern cases

Vintage

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  53.2 KB

The second modern case is close.

That's going to be a hard feat, but I'm sure it can be done if you look around @ some homages cases, but I'm almost positive you will need a 47mm case for the Angelus 240 mvmnt..Can you pull off a 47mm piece? That's a BIGGEN..

I wish I had the time & energy not to mention the patience & skills...Good luck on your venture..It can be done
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

This sounds like exactly the kind of situation where home made is the ideal solution.

What little touch might you add it make it all your own?

Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post
    That's going to be a hard feat, but I'm sure it can be done if you look around @ some homages cases, but I'm almost positive you will need a 47mm case for the Angelus 240 mvmnt..Can you pull off a 47mm piece? That's a BIGGEN..

I wish I had the time & energy not to mention the patience & skills...Good luck on your venture..It can be done
    Yes it would have to go in a 47mm case. I don't know about the 47mm case. I will find out this year. I have an artist friend painting a dial and it is going in a 47mm case.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Jul 22, 2015 at 02:11 PM.

7. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    This sounds like exactly the kind of situation where home made is the ideal solution.

What little touch might you add it make it all your own?
    Probably custom logo on the dial.

I have this custom dial incoming for a build.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Jul 22, 2015 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Probably custom logo on the dial.

I have this custom dial incoming for a build.
    ​There you go - have @ it.. & I for 1 would like to see your progress when you get started..Dial is Interesting
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

10. Likes 93EXCivic liked this post
    I have nothing useful to add but I think Panerai's are pretty cool.

12. Likes watchdaddy1, Nokie liked this post
    I was thinking about pam 587 as it is almost the same as the vintage on the OP minus the CG,but then the price will be more than $10k

Personally my favorite MM Panerai is pam 267,but with only very limited pieces produced there's little to no chance to find it in pre owned market

Another thing with 47mm SS case,it's heavy...I prefer the ti case in 47mm ala 368 vs the full SS (I was quite lucky that I had a chance to tried pam 203 for a day,the angelus movt is simply beautiful...)

I think if you want something particular,just make it,things will be exactly right for your taste