Likes Likes:  83
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another "what should I buy" thread. Thanks for your input IWL friends!

Another "what should I buy" thread. Thanks for your input IWL friends!

I'm another one of those guys that had over 150 watches built up over the years and decided to consolidate heavily. I sold and traded a lot of loved pieces for my GO PML, including my GS SBGR 083 which is really the only one I regret letting go. Otherwise, this was a welcome consolidation and I am very happy, although, I have a slot to fill.

My small collection is heavy with entry level dive style watches including a Seiko Baby Tuna, a black monster and a Doxa Ceramica...no need for any more there.

The aforementioned GO is my dressy and business casual watch, with a Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor doing the semi tough duty for wild weddings...anywhere I think I may do some damage....so good there.

Thankfully, my time spent at the "other site" and here has taught me to be more cautious with purchases and I'd really appreciate your input regarding my thoughts on the "all arounder" I'm looking for.

Here are my candidates and the pro/cons for each...

First up, the Seiko HB, silver/white face with the blue second hand....the SBGH001.

Name:  SBGH001-L.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  74.6 KB

Pro, a looker, and when I purchased the SBGR083, if they had the 081 in stock, I would have likely purchased that. I'm very keen on watches with a hint of color and the blue second hand drives me crazy in a good way.

Con, the polished case bits that drive me nuts. I wore the 083 very cautiously as I am an anti scratch freak with my better pieces. Can this really be a daily driver/all rounder if I'm concerned with that? I know, I'm crazy but I do know what does and doesn't work for me....but it's so dang beautiful.....ugh!

Rolex 214270....For those that I've known here for a couple of years, you know I've wanted this one for a while, and I passed on it for the GS.

Name:  Rolex-Explorer-I-Reference-214270.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  53.8 KB

Pro, all brushed, save for the bezel, perfect size for me and I love the way it looks, smallish hands and all. It's the one Rolex that I believe flies beneath the radar and that was a big part of why I purchased the GS....it was "just a Seiko". While it has great resale value, I truly believe that anything I buy at this juncture will be a keeper. I've said that before but when you are starting at zero again, it's easier to comply with that sentiment.

Con, it's still a Rolex and some of the biggest sphincters I know that know nothing about watches wear them. Note: I am not talking about anyone here as those who have Rolex on this and other watch forums recognize the quality and value....so no flaming!

Ball Marvelight, blue dial (photo borrowed...thank you!)

Name:  2014-07-19 11.49.08 copy.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  204.9 KB

Pro, the inexpensive way out, love the design, case, tritium and the quality is way beyond the price point. Rob at Toppers would "de bling" the PCL's and bezel for me, giving it the all brushed look that I have with my Berhardt. I have a love affair with Ball watches...they just are so solid and the bracelets are a work of art. When the tritium is done tastefully, and I believe it is on this one, they are very hard to beat in the value department.

Con, will I want something better down the road....will I be satisfied? Are the Rolex and Seiko that much better in quality? In some ways, yes, but the overall fit on Ball is excellent, although, the Roliie and GS have better finish.

I know this is another "what should I buy" thread, but who else would I turn to for something like this like this? My pals at IWL, of course!

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your responses!

Cheers,

Walter

If you have to baby the GO, how would you find having another watch to fret about?

If only there was a Grand Seiko explorer

I think the Ball dial is amazing but I understand your concern about potentially wanting something "better".
    The hands on the Seiko, especially the blue second hand scream quality so, for me, the decision is between those two.
    I think I would probably go for the Ball in the end as I like to be a little farther away from the mainstream.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Another "what should I buy" thread. Thanks for your input IWL friends!

You obviously regret getting rid of the GS so to me it's a no brainier. That's a super nice one personally I'd rather have the Snowflake though.

That GS. Or this GS
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes Der Amf, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If you have to baby the GO, how would you find having another watch to fret about? If only there was a Grand Seiko explorer
    I don't baby the GO as much as I thought I would as only the bezel is polished.

Quote Originally Posted by scottjc View Post
    I think the Ball dial is amazing but I understand your concern about potentially wanting something "better".
    The hands on the Seiko, especially the blue second hand scream quality so, for me, the decision is between those two.
    I think I would probably go for the Ball in the end as I like to be a little farther away from the mainstream.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the input, and yes, that is another Ball argument as it is off the beaten path.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    You obviously regret getting rid of the GS so to me it's a no brainier. That's a super nice one personally I'd rather have the Snowflake though.
    Since you have a couple of my favorite watches, your opinion always means a lot to me. Yeah, the Snowflake is great, but I love the HB movement.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    That GS. Or this GS
    I know, Geoff....GS or GS. I made the decision on GS once before over the Rolex but the shiny bits....dang those shiny bits!

8. Likes Dienekes liked this post
    I really like the Explorer but on the wrist the polished numerals didn't quite give me what I wanted to see.
    If you think the Ball won't satisfy on a level before you even have it then maybe that watch is for a time when you want something in a different price bracket.
    So that leaves Grand Seiko, perhaps one more check through the range to confirm your decision.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

10. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    i'm a bit torn because, to be honest, Ive never lusted for a GS. Technically, I would say GS but I just would never see myself getting one as the design underwhelms me a bit. I like the Rolex look the best of the 3.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

12. Likes JAGtime, wschofield3, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    i'm a bit torn because, to be honest, Ive never lusted for a GS. Technically, I would say GS but I just would never see myself getting one as the design underwhelms me a bit. I like the Rolex look the best of the 3.
    Key point here, for long term satisfaction it really needs to say buy me as soon as you try it on.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

14. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Walter,

From what you have written, it does sound like you would be overly cautious with the GS, which will defeat its purpose of being an "all-rounder." The only con you have against the Explorer is the baggage of it being a Rolex. I think this could easily be overcome if you really like the watch, which it sounds like you do. And as others have said, if this watch is to be an "all-rounder," would you feel the Ball is not at the level you would need for a strongly admired everyday watch. So, I would vote for the Explorer, but obviously, you cannot go wrong with any of these fine choices. Good luck!

Jane
    Last edited by JAGtime; Feb 8, 2015 at 07:22 PM.

16. Likes wschofield3 liked this post