Likes Likes:  52
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wempe's own watches

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I like the fact that they select the movement based on the size of the watch. It allows their designs to scale nicely.
    The two chrono sizes also use different movements, 7753 and an A07. 385.725.759.274.840

2. Likes FuzzyB liked this post
    Have always liked Wempe watches. One of the first pieces I fell in love with was their tonneau shaped chronometer (Nomos produced movement I believe). If their round dial models were smaller I suppose I'd have more . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The two chrono sizes also use different movements, 7753 and an A07. 385.725.759.274.840
    Don't draw too much from that. The A07 has the same subdial spacing as the 7750, and in fact most parts are interchangeable (including the barrel and assortment--two things that usually benefit from being larger). But it does have a bigger main plate, which allows a bigger date wheel and rotor. I've compared an A07 (in my Concord C1) to a 7750 (in my WUS Rattrapante) from the back very carefully, and the parts that can be seen from the back through a 30mm opening seem to be identical.

Rick "for whom this was a recent investigation" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

The Diver chrono uses the Selitta Sw500, the valjoux clone that you just don't see much at all

Name:  WEMPE_Zeitmeister_Glash_tte_DIVERs_Chronograph_crop_.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by Steppy; Sep 25, 2015 at 03:06 PM.

6. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Here's a photo of the Valgranges movement in the RGM, which shows how nicely the date is positioned on the dial. Also a gratuitous shot of the caseback to demonstrate how well sized the movement is for the case.

In comparison, a Tissot with a 775x movement. Not nearly as graceful as the RGM.

That RGM is so sexy!
    Kody

9. Likes FuzzyB liked this post

Wempe's own watches

The Tissot has a small opening, and the RGM has a large opening, but the large opening exposes a lot of empty main plate around the movement. It's clearly still a 13''' movement sitting on a 16''' main plate, with an oversized rotor. If the opening was the same as with the Tissot, it would look nearly identical. The larger plate does allow a larger date ring, of course. But the date on this 42mm Zenith sits on a 13''' movement, and that's a pretty big dial. 13''' is bigger than the usual 11-1/2''' 2892 or 2824, of course.

Consider this RGM, with a movement that properly fills it's large window, for contrast:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443212830.602801.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  177.7 KB

Rick "sorta preferring the Tissot, except for the RGMs with American-style movements" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Sep 25, 2015 at 08:34 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Wempe's own watches

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    The Tissot has a small opening, and the RGM has a large opening, but the large opening exposes a lot of empty main plate around the movement. It's clearly still a 13''' movement sitting on a 16''' main plate, with an oversized rotor. If the opening was the same as with the Tissot, it would look nearly identical. The larger plate does allow a larger date ring, of course. But the date on this 42mm Zenith sits on a 13''' movement, and that's a pretty big dial. 13''' is bigger than the usual 11-1/2''' 2892 or 2824, of course.

Rick "sorta preferring the Tissot, except for the RGMs with American-style movements" Denney
    I should have shot them side by side. The RGM's rotor is sized to the main plate. Even though there is little mechanically going on in the outer area, it is still nicer to see the larger rotor under the window without staring at a large movement ring. The rotor on the 775x looks minuscule in comparison.

Edit: Here is a quick comparison shot. The window on the Tissot is smaller than the rotor, but it is still a good bit smaller than the RGM rotor.

Last edited by FuzzyB; Sep 26, 2015 at 01:01 PM.

Cutting off part of the chapter ring on a chronograph does not equate to a nicely placed date window.

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    Cutting off part of the chapter ring on a chronograph does not equate to a nicely placed date window.
    If you are referring to the RGM, I'd much rather have that angled inner portion of the chapter ring cut off than have the date floating in the middle of the dial.

14. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post