Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question of violence [now successfully applied]

question of violence [now successfully applied]

I've got a strap I can't remove. Just can't get either of the spring bars moving. I could take apart the strap (which was only cheap) but I'm wondering....

Is it possible to wrench a strap off, killing the spring bars, but not damaging the 47-year-old lug holes?
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 6, 2015 at 05:01 PM.

Do you have some wire clippers? I would take some of those and cut thru the spring bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Do you have some wire clippers? I would take some of those and cut thru the spring bar.
    Great plan!

Unfortunately no I don't.

5. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've got a strap I can't remove. Just can't get either of the spring bars moving. I could take apart the strap (which was only cheap) but I'm wondering....

Is it possible to wrench a strap off, killing the spring bars, but not damaging the 47-year-old lug holes?
    I would cut the strap off have had it were the bar was fixed and I cut if of as the strap was in the way so could not see it. so I then had to complete remove the bar and drill holes so I say just cut the strap off simple and easy then you can see exactly what you got mate pics as always would help
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

tiny little dremel thru the spring bar ] carefully ]- leaving enough space to pincer out the remainder of the bar if its stuck firm - don't try to force it out sideways as you are suggesting -

I'd buy some - good tools are always and without exception cheaper in the long run.

9. Likes Nokie, Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Yes, but it is also possible you could muller the case....

Gold or steel?
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    I would cut the strap off have had it were the bar was fixed and I cut if of as the strap was in the way so could not see it. so I then had to complete remove the bar and drill holes so I say just cut the strap off simple and easy then you can see exactly what you got mate pics as always would help
    I know that the spring bars are normal - I put the damn thing on

And as I was fitting it I was thinking, "my these spring bars go in a very long way!"

My strap changing tool has seen better days; so unfortunately have my hands.

So I know that they are spring bars with all their inherent weaknesses, which is why I'm hoping I might be able to kill them. If the strap dies nonetheless then so be it. If the lugholes get damaged though......

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    Yes, but it is also possible you could muller the case....

Gold or steel?
    I think the case is steel, not just chrome plated. Def not gold

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd buy some - good tools are always and without exception cheaper in the long run.
    I can see that patience would really help me out here. I'm, er, not very inclined to patience when a new watch is involved.....

14. Likes Matt liked this post