Likes Likes:  4,238
Page 371 of 502 FirstFirst ... 271321361369370371372373381421471 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,710 of 5018

Thread: The Chat Thread #3

I think I mentioned that I was randomly selected for antibody testing. Well, the testing kit arrived, I did the test, and - no antibodies.

That’s after my first jab some time back. Second jab next week.

I think I’ll carry on being careful.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I think I mentioned that I was randomly selected for antibody testing. Well, the testing kit arrived, I did the test, and - no antibodies.

That’s after my first jab some time back. Second jab next week.

I think I’ll carry on being careful.
    What does that mean then? Good or bad?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    What does that mean then? Good or bad?
    It’s bad. Antibodies are what fight off the virus, so it you’ve been vaccinated (or have had and recovered from Covid) you should have antibodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems premature to test you after the first shot. No?

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

Quote Originally Posted by chuckmiller View Post
    It seems premature to test you after the first shot. No?

Not really. It’s a national research project that has been running since the start of the pandemic. Some people were tested before vaccines were widely available. A friend of mine had antibodies before receiving the vaccine, showing that he had been exposed to the virus without suffering serious problems (although he had been unwell for a while).

It’s important to know the response to one vaccination rather than two, and to have data relating to the interval between vaccinations. Age-related data is also critical. The antibody test isn’t for my direct benefit, it was uploaded to the research computer, along with the answers to a fairly detailed questionnaire.

There isn’t a definitive conclusion to be drawn from my result. I may have antibodies, but at a level below the sensitivity of the test. I may have a poor immune response, which is not uncommon in older people. It would be interesting to know my result after the second jab, but the odds are against me being randomly selected twice.

The only conclusion I draw from the test is that I may have to rely on other people not transmitting the virus, rather than my ability to fight it off. And actually, that’s how it is for most of the worlds population. Meeting the challenge of this pandemic is about social responsibility on a worldwide scale. Submitting my data to the research project is a tiny part of that.

Savagely Average
    Out with family getting their 2nd shots today, moderna

7. Likes hayday, happyscrappyheropup, litlmn liked this post
    Not really. It’s a national research project that has been running since the start of the pandemic. Some people were tested before vaccines were widely available. A friend of mine had antibodies before receiving the vaccine, showing that he had been exposed to the virus without suffering serious problems (although he had been unwell for a while).

It’s important to know the response to one vaccination rather than two, and to have data relating to the interval between vaccinations. Age-related data is also critical. The antibody test isn’t for my direct benefit, it was uploaded to the research computer, along with the answers to a fairly detailed questionnaire.

There isn’t a definitive conclusion to be drawn from my result. I may have antibodies, but at a level below the sensitivity of the test. I may have a poor immune response, which is not uncommon in older people. It would be interesting to know my result after the second jab, but the odds are against me being randomly selected twice.

The only conclusion I draw from the test is that I may have to rely on other people not transmitting the virus, rather than my ability to fight it off. And actually, that’s how it is for most of the worlds population. Meeting the challenge of this pandemic is about social responsibility on a worldwide scale. Submitting my data to the research project is a tiny part of that.
    If it were me after that first test, especially if you don't have a reaction after your second dose, I would get another antibody test two weeks after the second shot, through your doctor or some other way. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    If it were me after that first test, especially if you don't have a reaction after your second dose, I would get another antibody test two weeks after the second shot, through your doctor or some other way. But that's just me.

I doubt that I’ll bother. It would be interesting to know, but nothing actually depends on it. The most critical judgment for me will be when it’s possible to travel to Poland. It isn’t possible at the moment, but when it is, my decision will be based on the prevalence of the virus in Poland. I’ve never assumed that vaccination would make me safe - nobody can, especially if they’re over 60.

Blog Entries
    This is exactly why some of us are still wearing masks in public even though we are vaccinated. It's getting really tiresome, but there's an overlap period where vaccinated people can still transmit the virus without symptoms. Just yesterday the comedian Bill Mahr tested positive even though he was vaccinated and had no symptoms. He had to cancel a TV show he had scheduled so he wouldn't spread it to others.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Since I had zero reaction to either Moderna shot It makes me curious about how well, if any, it is protecting me. I will wait a month and then have the antibody check again.

My wife decided to go ahead with the shots. Same place I went to. This very busy pharmacy has numerous employees. Would she could she get the same gorilla I had last time? The tech had to wipe away a 6in stream of blood running down her arm and she had visible bruising within 10mins. Maybe the tech pierced a vein, just by chance. My wife is experiencing fatigue and is sleeping 50% more than usual.

Retired from Fire/Rescue January 2019 with 30 years on the job

12. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post