Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do to keep a watch?

What would you do to keep a watch?

Well what do you know...an actual watch post. We're talking about owning the most perfect watch of a given type you can imagine. In my case I want a field watch that doesn't seem to exist and without getting into particulars Sinn's (old) 656 / (new) 556 is the closest thing to that I know so it's where I'd need to start.

The question is: If you liked a "flawed" watch enough, how far would you go to modify it so you didn't have to sell? Twice I've nearly got rid of my Sinn 656 because I'm not jazzed about the complete package, but twice I've pulled it back because spec-wise it does almost everything I want. To get it off the fence what follows probably needs to happen...obviously this personal:

• Top of case too thick. It throws the case / dial proportions off.
      • Solution: DLC/PVD to help the dial and case blend together.
      • Bonus: It would make the watch appear smaller and I wouldn't have anything like it.

• Dial legibility: I might be the only person who thinks this, but all that white combined with the giant numbers makes it hard to read.
      • ​Solutions: Re-dial so it looks like a current 556I with stick indexes. Paint minute hand orange (I've done this before).
      • ​Weirdness: I don't want a 556I because of the glossy dial, display caseback and most of all, date window placement.

• Sapphire crystal: I want this to be a field watch not an aviation watch; I think acrylic is better for the task
      • Solution: Maybe a long shot, but Sinn uses acrylic for there 356 chronos; they share the same case size and the shape seems the same.
      • Issue: Needs to retain 200m WR. Even if crystal fits it's probably is a limiting factor..might settle for 100m.

I could live without the crystal swap, but not the other changes. When all's said and done these mods would easily cost more than the watch itself and I'm can't be sure I'd like the outcome. The hope is I'd end up with a cool / unique watch that finally fills the hole in my watch case's heart. Is anybody else in this spot and as above, how much would you spend to reach your goal?
    Last edited by ljb187; May 26, 2015 at 12:28 AM.

2. Likes Chase liked this post
    I'd do all those things and more. I'd go so far as to order a movement, have a case and dial made, hands the whole nine yards.min the long run it is probably the cheaper quest than doing most of us do and going through umpteen watches to satisfy our desires.

4. Likes vinylgreek liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    I'd do all those things and more. I'd go so far as to order a movement, have a case and dial made, hands the whole nine yards.min the long run it is probably the cheaper quest than doing most of us do and going through umpteen watches to satisfy our desires.
    I actually tried something similar with RGM in December of 2013, but two things happened:

1) They seemed to have trouble finding the right case
    2) My company went out of business

Wonder how much it would cost to do all this - sans the movement - from scratch, but in a decidedly non-George Daniels sort of way.

Down the road one day, I'd like a lighted dialed Speedmaster something like the Italian one or the Silver Snoopy but with a silver bezel and display case back. I'm probably going to have to buy parts and a used watch and have this put together. but I'm nearly positive I'm going to love it.

You on the other hand don't seem so sure. Personally, I think I'd just keep searching for the right watch (or at least one that misses closer).

Oh, and sorry to hear about your business. :-(
    Last edited by Colin; May 26, 2015 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Oh...

7. Likes Domo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    You on the other hand don't seem so sure. Personally, I think I'd just keep searching for the right watch (or at least one that misses closer).

Oh, and sorry to hear about your business. :-(
    +1

To be honest your requirements don't seem so outlandish that you couldn't find in a ready-to-go watch. Have you seen the new Kobold intrepid? Pretty cool looking watch.

Seiko did something that I think hits nearly all your criteria. They did the Spork, which doesn't, but shows the way then they did a thin bezelled one in DLC that I think hits the spot (but i can't remember the silly name for it! and Seiko mods are peanuts anyway as it's so trendy...

Sinn is so frustrating. They have all the functions and complications that I'm looking for, but they can't put it all together in one watch. I'd love a 104 St Sa I UTC, 203 ARKTIS with UTC rather than a chrono, 856 UTC without the 3-6-9-12 numerals, or an EZM 3 UTC.

Sooner or later, I have to think, they'll come up with something that's perfect for me. Until then, I'll enjoy the hunt.

11. Likes Colin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    Well what do you know...an actual watch post. We're talking about owning the most perfect watch of a given type you can imagine. In my case I want a field watch that doesn't seem to exist and without getting into particulars Sinn's (old) 656 / (new) 556 is the closest thing to that I know so it's where I'd need to start.

The question is: If you liked a "flawed" watch enough, how far would you go to modify it so you didn't have to sell? Twice I've nearly got rid of my Sinn 656 because I'm not jazzed about the complete package, but twice I've pulled it back because spec-wise it does almost everything I want. To get it off the fence what follows probably needs to happen...obviously this personal:

• Top of case too thick. It throws the case / dial proportions off.
      • Solution: DLC/PVD to help the dial and case blend together.
      • Bonus: It would make the watch appear smaller and I wouldn't have anything like it.

• Dial legibility: I might be the only person who thinks this, but all that white combined with the giant numbers makes it hard to read.
      • ​Solutions: Re-dial so it looks like a current 556I with stick indexes. Paint minute hand orange (I've done this before).
      • ​Weirdness: I don't want a 556I because of the glossy dial, display caseback and most of all, date window placement.

• Sapphire crystal: I want this to be a field watch not an aviation watch; I think acrylic is better for the task
      • Solution: Maybe a long shot, but Sinn uses acrylic for there 356 chronos; they share the same case size and the shape seems the same.
      • Issue: Needs to retain 200m WR. Even if crystal fits it's probably is a limiting factor..might settle for 100m.

I could live without the crystal swap, but not the other changes. When all's said and done these mods would easily cost more than the watch itself and I'm can't be sure I'd like the outcome. The hope is I'd end up with a cool / unique watch that finally fills the hole in my watch case's heart. Is anybody else in this spot and as above, how much would you spend to reach your goal?
    I would do everything... #1 and #2 should not be as expensive as the actual watch. Just remember that if you ever want to sell it you will not be able to recoup the $$$ invested in the modifications, hell you might even need to sell it at a lower price that an "unmolested" piece (unless you find someone that LOVES what you did to it).

If the modifications get you to your perfect watch, DO IT!
    Joe

Omega / Rolex / Oris / Citizen / Seiko / Alpina / G Shock

13. Likes ljb187 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Oh, and sorry to hear about your business...You on the other hand don't seem so sure...Personally, I think I'd just keep searching for the right watch (or at least one that misses closer).
    Sorry for the ambiguity, but it was the place where worked that went under. A 90+ year old, 1/2 billion dollar retail company up in smoke in part because VPs and officers acted like greedy piggies even as the ship was obviously floundering. I'm all for generous rewards when things are going well, but this was the opposite of that...old saws always speak the truth; this time it was "killing the golden goose".

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Seiko did something that I think hits nearly all your criteria. They did the Spork, which doesn't, but shows the way then they did a thin bezelled one in DLC that I think hits the spot (but i can't remember the silly name for it! and Seiko mods are peanuts anyway as it's so trendy...
    Re all the three comments above: You'd think so, but - like the Spork and others - it was impossible to find something that put all the pieces together. Of course this is just watch weirdness and if nothing else the search keeps me from having to exercise. Omega's Railmaster, Seiko's 017 Alpinist, Breitling's Superocean Heritage 38mm and a Casio Oceanus probably came the closest. The Alpinist is still in the running...thickness and a bit of added complexity are working against it. If it stays the mod would be turning the green into navy and the gold into white...might add a cyclops too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr AT View Post
    Sinn is so frustrating. They have all the functions and complications that I'm looking for, but they can't put it all together in one watch. I'd love a 104 St Sa I UTC, 203 ARKTIS with UTC rather than a chrono, 856 UTC without the 3-6-9-12 numerals, or an EZM 3 UTC.

Sooner or later, I have to think, they'll come up with something that's perfect for me. Until then, I'll enjoy the hunt.
    203 Aktis and the 356 Flieger II - Sinn's killing me with those watches. I've only got 2 or 3 slots left and right now they're on the outside looking in. We'll see if things make enough sense once the box is filled. Speaking of that...

...Name:  domo v3.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  2.0 KB: This one. The demise of my too large Oceanus (killed me to finally admit that) left me with the need for a first-rate grab-n-go watch. Not sure where it sits on the desirability scale, but I've got a thing for slate dials and green intrigues and appeals to me. I don't know...a month or three out I'd guess. One of the deciding factors is it appears I get some sort of duck prize with purchase.

15. Likes Domo liked this post
    Good eye with the SBGX097! I always really liked the slightly flanged indices Seiko used to use on their plain-er quartz models, they don't use them so much anymore.

Still a quartz GS seems a bit redundant to me - you have a kick-arse Chronomaster. I think you'd really appreciate a mechanical one...Or a spring drive.....The SBGE033 is about the prettiest thing I've seen lately, and has a bit of Alpinist in it but without the fugly compass crown.