Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So did I buy the Seiko....?

So did I buy the Seiko....?

As a follow up to my thread on Saturday “What would your pick be...”, I am about to reveal the decision I made (was it a go/ no go, and if a go, which one – between a Sumo LE or a MM300, but with modified hands). Here are two pics:

Once again, I would like to express my appreciation to those who have chimed in. I seriously did take them into consideration. And just so you know why I posted that thread. It was my wife who prompted me to. She said, “if you can’t decide, get some opinions from the experts, the ones whom you have been spending a lot of time with (somehow, I sense sarcasm there)”.

Before I reveal the decision, I thought I would very quickly share what else I saw.

First up, was another Thailand edition of the Sumo.

Name:  White Sumo.png
Views: 367
Size:  326.0 KB

(this picture taken from the internet)

It’s all white, and it looked nice in real life. The only thing that I didn’t like was the cyclop. I actually appreciate the “magnifier” as I can very easily read off the date, but the problem is, I am trying to get over the right date for the right day during my watch rotation, and the cyclop will probably make me freak out every time I pick it up for the day. But, I must say, it’s different, in a nice way.

Next up, the 50th anniversary limited edition MM300. Yes, you hear it right. I was really surprised to find it there. I thought this was sold out even before it was launched. Here’s a picture for those who are keen to get their hands on it:

Name:  MM 50th.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  51.2 KB

I like it, a lot. I negotiated hard with the AD. The deal was almost done, as he came very close to what I was wiling to pay for. So I started playing with it more thoroughly, to be sure. And this was where I discovered the problem…every time when I tried to screw down the crown, it jammed. This happened 9 out of 10 times! I believed this piece had the most widely reported problem of cross thread! Maybe, that’s the reason why it is still available…Will I be “forgiving enough” to take the risk, as I really like this piece?

There were a couple GS as well, and they were very nice. Very well built and with good wrist presence. Suggestions from so many members here to consider the GS did make me think about this as an option.

So what was my decision? What’s on the table? The White Sumo LE, the 50th Anniversary LE MM300, the Thailand Edition MM300, and the 50th Anniversary LE Sumo. Or perhaps, a GS diver?

After much deliberation, I went ahead with ….the Seiko….
    50th Anniversary LE …

Sumo. Why?

· White Sumo – probably less versatile, and the liking for it may be short lived.
    · 50th Anniversary MM 300 LE – It’s already more costly compared with the regular MM, therefore I expect more. I can’t accept the flaw.
    · MM300 Thailand edition – Nice as it is, I think the hands really ruins it. If I hadn’t the opportunity to compare the hands on the 50th MM LE and this side by side, I might have gone ahead. But, once I placed them side by side, the answer was clear to me.
    · GS Divers – no doubts about them. But I am reserving a spot for the GS for a dressier piece, and it wouldn’t happen till next year.
    · LE Sumo – I liked the original Sumo, and was contemplating the Blue. But the LE came across more refined with the different hour markers, the shiny bezel, and sapphire crystal.

Here are some shots.

Name:  2015-04-21 10.24.59.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  2015-04-21 10.26.11.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  62.7 KB

Well, who knows. I might still end up getting the MM300, because it is a very fine looking piece.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Nutty28; Apr 21, 2015 at 10:04 AM.

"So did I buy the Seiko...?" was never the question, LOL. Moreso, "WHICH Seiko?"

And yes, you done well. You done very, very well!!

3. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    Thanks, Domo.

Well, as I indicated, some members did suggest that I should not be impulsive (and I do appreciate their comments as I know I sometimes do). So, the idea of not buying anything was also lingering.

But alas, I have succumb to temptation.....not strong at all....

5. Likes Domo liked this post
    PERFECT Score!!!!! Congrats brotha!

nuf said...

7. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    PERFECT Score!!!!! Congrats brotha!

nuf said...
    Thanks...

And you..... you are one of those who tries to distract me by suggesting a GS.....arrgghh

No, seriously, thanks for the input.

Speaking of which, I wonder how will this Seiko look with one of your fabulous looking strap.....hhmmmm

9. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Well done! You made an excellent choice!

11. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutty28 View Post
    Thanks, Domo.

Well, as I indicated, some members did suggest that I should not be impulsive (and I do appreciate their comments as I know I sometimes do). So, the idea of not buying anything was also lingering.

But alas, I have succumb to temptation.....not strong at all....
    There's no need to try and mask the raw, emotional animal instinct to buy a Seiko diver. We all succumb to it sooner or later. And now this is the perfect way to transition to a Grand Seiko

13. Likes pepperami, Nutty28, birdynamnam, Steppy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutty28 View Post

Speaking of which, I wonder how will this Seiko look with one of your fabulous looking strap.....hhmmmm
    that can easily be arranged hehehe... just be a little patience ok ..

15. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    lost in translation birdynamnam's Avatar
    Wear it in good health
    Just for a quick look : http://yeomanseiko.com/2013/08/19/sbgr081/#more-5709
    "chirp, chirp"

17. Likes Nutty28 liked this post
    This may seem like 'back-pedaling' but isn't:
    If you'd have shown this picture....
    Name:  SumoLEReal.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  94.9 KB
    ... in the original post, instead of this one....
    Name:  SumoLEStock.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  45.0 KB
    .... I wouldn't have given the MM a second look.
    The reality far exceeds the library picture
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

19. Likes Nutty28 liked this post