Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do vintage high end watches still count as high end?

Do vintage high end watches still count as high end?

I was wondering do vintage watches from high end brands such as VC and AP still qualify as high end watches despite not having high end price tags always attached?
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

2. Likes Der Amf liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cabfrank View Post
    Why not?
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by cabfrank View Post
    Why not?
    Just wondering.

I guess a better question is how is high end defined? Since vintages count I guess price tag isn't the deciding factor. Is it finishing (which is a bit hard to define)? Or brands? Or?

In fact, isn't this a defining aspect of something High-end: that the price has been leveled for intrinsic, uneradicable quality, not merely to pay for marketing or to exploit passing fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    In fact, isn't this a defining aspect of something High-end: that the price has been leveled for intrinsic, uneradicable quality, not merely to pay for marketing or to exploit passing fashion?
    Dunno about that--folks like Patek certainly spend plenty on marketing, and sadly I think you could point to examples for most undeniably high end brands that were exploiting current fashions.

I think also that a vintage HEW might not hold its value due to current fashion (size, style, etc.), but probably had an inflation-adjusted high end price when originally purchased.

8. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Dunno about that--folks like Patek certainly spend plenty on marketing, and sadly I think you could point to examples for most undeniably high end brands that were exploiting current fashions..
    On reflection I ought to have written: "Shouldn't this be a defining etc etc"

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    On reflection I ought to have written: "Shouldn't this be a defining etc etc"
    Reflection? You? Good heavens, what's next, the Earth leaving its orbit?

Yes, it should be.

I've always enjoyed a good "what is high end, really, anyway?" discussion, but personally, my definition is the same as the famous quote from US Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, wrestling in an opinion about the definition of obscenity--he said he wasn't sure precisely how to define it, but he knew it when he saw it.

I'd also guess there are some brands that are considered high end today that I wouldn't consider the vintage watches to be. Ulysses Nardin comes to mind.

I was trying to think of watch brands that were high end then but aren't now.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I've always enjoyed a good "what is high end, really, anyway?" discussion, but personally, my definition is the same as the famous quote from US Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, wrestling in an opinion about the definition of obscenity--he said he wasn't sure precisely how to define it, but he knew it when he saw it.
    Funny I was about to post that.

13. Likes mlcor liked this post