Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you have your watch serviced when it was just three years old?

Why did you have your watch serviced when it was just three years old?

I'm aware of the standard advice to service a watch at five years. I also know that Rolices can happily reach forty years old and only be needing their second service.

I've read very little about watches needing servicing before then, so I would be interested to hear what reasons people had for submitting to the expense so early on.

I'm supposing there will be two main answers - manufacturers advice, and because the timekeeping had suddenly deteriorated - and will be interested to see how reality matches my expectation....

Under warranty - no expense.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

Quote Originally Posted by WWII70 View Post
    Was that built into the initial price? A free service at three years?

I know that Hentschel include a free service within the first 64 months - ie you can leave it five years and then get round to sending it back to them
    Last edited by Der Amf; Apr 7, 2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: tipe O

Only when I notice timekeeping off by a relative amount of a watch I'll send it out. Also good for an excuse to get it polished looking like new again. Since I wore my last Rolex for 10 years and it was still in COSC specs servicing wasn't even a thought.

Are you sure they won't charge for the service?

Rick "who knows they won't charge for repairs required during service" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

It's rule one: oil is cheap, parts are expensive. As for forty year old Rolex, I'd like to see the highbeat automatic Rolex that lasted forty years of use without a service. A 1215, sure a 1520, sure but a 3000 or 3135. not on your nelly. Given the well known weak spots of the 3135 I'd not let it go a moment past five years as the legendary indestructibility is premised on good lubrication. In fact, I wouldn't buy it at all. That's why all my Rolex come from a period when Rolex earned their laurels rather than a period when they rested on them. Mind you, I'd say the same thing about most manufactures, at least those that are not now resting under their laurels.
    Last edited by Matt; Apr 7, 2015 at 12:30 PM.

7. Likes OhDark30, FuzzyB, muddy250 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Are you sure they won't charge for the service?

Rick "who knows they probably won't charge for repairs required during service" Denney

FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's rule one: oil is cheap, parts are expensive. As for forty year old Rolex, I'd like to see the highbeat automatic Rolex that lasted forty years of use without a service. A 1215, sure a 1520, sure but a 3000 or 3135. not on your nelly. Given the well known weak spots of the 3135 I'd not let it go a moment past five years, in fact, I wouldn't buy it at all. That's why all my Rolex come from a period when Rolex earned their laurels rather than a period when they rested on them. Mind you, I'd say the same thing about most manufactures, at least those that are not now resting under their laurels.
    Since the 3135 wasn't released until 1987, I would be especially thrilled to see a 40 year old one

Please note that I said, its second service, and was thinking specifically of this post by Christian Dannemann about his dad's 1570: http://watchguy.co.uk/service-rolex-1601-calibre-1570/

10. Likes Matt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Since the 3135 wasn't released until 1987, I would be especially thrilled to see a 40 year old one

Please note that I said, its second service, and was thinking specifically of this post by Christian Dannemann about his dad's 1570: http://watchguy.co.uk/service-rolex-1601-calibre-1570/
    Damn, out smartarsed! I'd agree on the 1570, best movement they ever made by a country mile.

12. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Was that built into the initial price? A free service at three years?

I know that Hentschel include a free service within the first 64 months - ie you can leave it five years and then get round to sending it back to them
    I bought my first several watches from Tourneau (IWC new, several pre-owned) and they service them under warranty 'no questions asked' even for timing issues. Simple pieces they do in the Long Island repair shop but I believe my IWC has been sent back to Switzerland.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

14. Likes rfortson liked this post