Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So if you had basically unlimited funds

So if you had basically unlimited funds

Lets say you woke up tomorrow and had a ton of money, I'm not talking Powerball (lottery) money or Oprah money I am talking Carlos Slim Helu money (I would have said Bill Gates money but Carlos Slim is just too cool of a name to forgo). So we are talking the better part of 100 Billion USD. Basically too much money to spend in a lifetime and actually a job to give it all away. How many watches would you have? I assume since you are "here" you wouldn't be sporting a single Timex, but would you have 100s of watches, or would you just buy the Patek Supercomplication and hire a "watchminder" to carry it around for you and present it to you on call, or....
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron
    It's wack if it don't say Patek!
    Stealin' lunch money on school playgrounds for Rolex since 1978

I already have 100s, I'd probably end up with 1000s.

3. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I'm a simple guy. One or two Breguet

Name:  602x442_1352720877.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  151.8 KB

Name:  602x442_1417010333.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  204.2 KB
    (both pics from the watch observer web)

Les classiques - and I mean the real classics (vintage) - such as some chrono by VC, this for exemple:

Name:  602x442_1397746388.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  140.9 KB
    (pic from the watch observer web)

or from current Patrimony Traditionnelle line

Name:  VC_P.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  55.1 KB(pic from VC web)

And that's it. The enjoyment I get from watches does have its limits, I suppose. Sorry to disapoint Oh, and no winders: hate them.
    Last edited by CFR; Dec 15, 2014 at 04:31 AM.

5. Likes Ryan, JAGtime, Bwana, hayday liked this post
    I would give away 99 billion 900 million for jobs programs and go diving, starting with Truk.

7. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexvil View Post
    I would give away 99 billion 900 million for jobs programs and go diving, starting with Truk.
    The problem is if you truly care about the cause and have near that level of money you plan to give away it isn't as easy as writing a check, it may be a while before you get to Micronesia. Plus you didn't answer the question, though interesting how people may live their life with billions in their pocket it is a watch forum after all and I was mainly interested in how one would deal with the watch side of life though a side bar concerning the rest of their life would be interesting as well.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron
    It's wack if it don't say Patek!
    Stealin' lunch money on school playgrounds for Rolex since 1978

Jaeger-LeCoultre Duomètre á Sphéro Tourbillon
    Patek 5140G
    Kari Voutilainen GMT-6
    And if im feeling lazy, a pulchritudinous assistant to whisper the time into my ear.

10. Likes Ryan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    The problem is if you truly care about the cause and have near that level of money you plan to give away it isn't as easy as writing a check, it may be a while before you get to Micronesia. Plus you didn't answer the question, though interesting how people may live their life with billions in their pocket it is a watch forum after all and I was mainly interested in how one would deal with the watch side of life though a side bar concerning the rest of their life would be interesting as well.
    I did answer the question, I wouldn't buy a watch, I have a watch that fills my needs, just not into owning things just to own them, have had plenty of chances to go to Truk but seems there is a better deal or site to dive when I'm ready, it's just a pain to make all of the connections and waste that much time in flight.
    so as far as the simple answer, no more or less watches than I have now, 4 not counting the two cheap loaner watches in the dive box. I can buy new watches but no one makes anything I would want.

By the way it is as easy as writing a check if you aren't into micro managing.

12. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexvil View Post
    By the way it is as easy as writing a check if you aren't into micro managing.
    It's as easy as writing a check if you want the money to go to waste. The programs aren't equipped to handle that kind of infusion of money effectively without strong leadership. At the very least, you would need to identify a person capable of overseeing the implementation effectively.

Patek Philippe
    Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Baume & Mercier Hampton Annual Calendar; Tudor Black Bay.

Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field H70555863; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull 818.900 Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN017P1; Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51.

14. Likes ilitig8 liked this post
    If I was truly loaded, there wouldn't be a single brand-name watch in my collection. The name on the dial would be of the guy who made it.

16. Likes ilitig8, Ryan, mlcor, Chase, Strange liked this post
    Most of the truly expensive high-end watches are those with many complications, and my taste tends to be simpler. In particular, I don't like the busy dials that many of the ultra-complicated watches have.

I would probably have a collection of maybe twenty or so high-end watches like, for example:

1. Patek Philippe perpetual calendar 5140;
    2. Philippe Dufour Simplicity;
    3. A. Lange and Sohne Datograph;
    4. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle chronograph.

Patek Philippe
    Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Baume & Mercier Hampton Annual Calendar; Tudor Black Bay.

Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field H70555863; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull 818.900 Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN017P1; Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51.

18. Likes ilitig8, Imitation of Life liked this post