Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Headcorn Air Show

Headcorn Air Show

So, to kill two birds with one stone...

A lovely little airshow, A bit like a traditional cricket match in that there was plenty to see and do, but the sudden bursts of excitement tended to pop out of nowhere slightly infrequently. It was youngest's first, so the complete absence of jets, let alone fast jets was perfect and the mildly astonishing five Hurricanes, slightly more Spitfires and a couple of ME109s meant that he's now got the difference between the three nice and clear and by the end was shouting out what was overhead, like so:

with accuracy that almost matched his enthusiasm. Either way, I promised you a couple of pictures of a Blenheim so here they are:

I better get in a watch shot too...

There are only two aircraft flying today that actually fought in the Battle of Britain. That's both of them!

Which is kind of handy as,discussing it with the ground crew, it turns out that the Hurricane, R4118, has been restored to change nothing, including the instrumentation and especially including the clock and, to my delight:

not only was the chap I chatted to prepared to snap me a couple of pictures of the clock, but it is, as I expected, a Swiss Jaeger, not an Ed. Jaeger or Smiths...

(I really must finish that, I just keep putting it off - and buying clocks!)
    Last edited by Matt; Jul 11, 2015 at 08:55 PM.

Great pictures Matt

sent from Billy super-Duper

Quote Originally Posted by DJW GB View Post
    Great pictures Matt

sent from Billy super-Duper
    Cheers, It's hard not to take good ones in the circumstances. Actually, I only meant to post one and then got carried away! I guess I should fire up a new thread elsewhere...

4. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    Cheers, Matt!
    I particularly like your son with the Harvard, and the Blenheim up in the aching blue, with the Hurricane at readiness below.
    And lovely wrist shot (so appropriate), and cockpit shot (I get a bit disappointed with vintage aircraft cockpits chocka with GPSs and modern radio stacks)

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Cheers, Matt!
    I particularly like your son with the Harvard, and the Blenheim up in the aching blue, with the Hurricane at readiness below.
    And lovely wrist shot (so appropriate), and cockpit shot (I get a bit disappointed with vintage aircraft cockpits chocka with GPSs and modern radio stacks)
    Not tonight, but I can post more...

Incidentally, I noticed something that utterly blew me away: From a distance and directly in front and slightly below, to conceal the wing position, tail position and most of the cockpit the Blenheim's silhouette appears remarkably similar to the meteor's!

Cool, I can imagine that
    Name:  _83178599_83178598.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  images-7.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  6.7 KB

Which Meatbox variant? I imagine the engine fit will make a big difference
    (and yes, I can wait til tomorrow for more pics :-)

8. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    Great pictures, Matt - especially of your son!

I thought about coming along but watched Wimbledon instead.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Great pictures, Matt - especially of your son!

I thought about coming along but watched Wimbledon instead.
    If you like that one, how about this one of him discovering propwash for the first time!

and what he's being propwashed by:

which turned smartly in front of us and blipped the throttle!

After giving a barnstorming display

Perhaps a mod could kindly throw all of this into a new thread please?

11. Likes geoffbot, OhDark30, scottjc, T Bone, Strela167 liked this post
    Great thread! Reminds me I've yet to catch an air show this year (and completely skipped them last year). I am slipping. Really angry with myself, I had intended to get to Dayton Ohio last month (but failed to plan to). The Breitling Jet Team is here in North America on their first visit. Wanted to see them forever (since their inception, which coincided with the dropping of the Breitling Fighters, an oddly matched combo of a Kitty Hawk, a Spirfire, a Mustang and a Corsair). The L39 jet is one of my favorite airplanes (the "if I won the lottery" plane). To see a 7 ship demo in formation, particularly sponsored by my favorite watch brand (yes, it is Breitling, not Doxa, though I do quite like them as well) would be a dream. Saw a 5 ship of the Chezc Aero's in Florida a couple years back, but as good as they were, they were neither as skilled, drilled or practiced as the Breitling team is.

I still have several more opportunities to see them fly, Cleveland is as close as Dayton, and Chicago is doable. Osh Kosh is not out of the question, especially being the worlds largest air event, and one I've never attended. We'll see where I end up.

Thank you for posting this, there is an entirely different air heritage in the UK, and your shows get a mix of planes we rarely see single examples of here across the pond. Great shots, I'll bet your Son has really got the aviation bug now.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!