Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbaric, backwards ancestor worship

Barbaric, backwards ancestor worship

"The fetishization of "correct" English -- which is to say, white, wealthy English -- is in direct opposition to everything that makes English such a glorious drunkard's debauch of a language.

English came to us from the inventive malapropism and linguistic entrepreneurship of its speakers: from Shakespeare, who coined words wholesale; to the working-class streets with their heterodox cursing and rhyming slangs.

To demand the immobilization of this restless, incontinent language is a form of barbaric and backwards ancestor-worship. When the Michael Goves of this world tell "language" teachers that their job is to teach the kids in my neighbourhood to forego their innits and I wasn'ts and nuffinks, he is engaging in a kind of linguistic lapsarianism."

The article contains more goodies: http://boingboing.net/2014/12/16/bar...ncestor-w.html

2. Likes Statius, nelamvr6 liked this post
    And this is why I think that the whole concept of "civilized folk" not using "cuss words" is downright silly.

Free the word! And get those sticks out of yer bottoms.

4. Likes nelamvr6 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    And this is why I think that the whole concept of "civilized folk" not using "cuss words" is downright silly.

Free the word! And get those sticks out of yer bottoms.

**** off.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianStraps View Post
    **** off.
    You're such a d**k.

7. Likes CanadianStraps liked this post
    There's a book on the history of "correct" usage - the overall message seems to be that the more stringent the rules created, the less qualifed was the person creating the rule to be pontificating on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    You're such a d**k.
    Yeah, but at least I don't **** a ***** until **** and ***** ******, you ****.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

10. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post
    Blog Entries

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Well, ***** ****** ****! And **** ******** ****** ****.
    That is all I'm saying on that!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianStraps View Post
    Yeah, but at least I don't **** a ***** until **** and ***** ******, you ****.

14. Likes M. Montaigne, Nokie liked this post
    If you looked like that...

16. Likes Seriously liked this post