Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider a well rounded individual?

What do you consider a well rounded individual?

This topic stems somewhat from the dress watch topic but it got me thinking what makes someone a well rounded individual.

Is it someone who can discuss everything art to technical subjects (aka a wide range of knowledge) or someone who is in shape both physically and mentally or a combination of the two or something else?

And do you consider yourself a well rounded individual? Is it something that is even important to you?

Personally I can talk for hours about cars or watches or composite materials or the design of suspension system or sports but my knowledge of the arts is somewhat lacking. I took four years of art in high school and have been to a lot of great art museums but I can't really hold a very long intelligent discussion on art. And I couldn't tell you the first thing about classic music or opera or realistically jazz (even though I do like jazz). I am in decent shape from playing two seasons of soccer a year and three seasons of ultimate frisbee. I am also fairly handy in that I can repair cars, do basic machining (ie operate a mill, lathe, grinder, etc) and do composite layups. I would not consider myself a well rounded person though mostly due to my lack of arts knowledge.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; Jan 22, 2015 at 09:27 PM.

As a certified smartarse, I'd be the first to say that knowledge doesn't make a well rounded individual, decency does. Someone who is kind, considerate and thoughtful is usually going to be able to make up for a lack of knowledge.

Mind you, composite cars with arcane suspension, what's not to talk about?
    Last edited by Matt; Jan 22, 2015 at 09:38 PM.

got to be homer j simpson or did I not read the question right you can't get a rounder guy haha

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

4. Likes Der Amf, popoki nui liked this post
    Jazz is considered more high brow than rap, but neither is superior. The same can be said for an, say, fine art vs computer games. To me 'well rounded' is synonymous to 'good all-rounder' - someone who can fit in with most crowds and appreciate most things. Not someone like metlin, who would criticise your wearing of a tie bar with a tweed jacket, but someone like me, who would ask what a tie bar is for, then appreciate the knowledge in the answer.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

6. Likes Seriously, Chronopolitano, Bwana liked this post
    Someone with no more than 150 posts on any one internet forum

8. Likes Nokie liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    As a certified smartarse, I'd be the first to say that knowledge doesn't make a well rounded individual, decency does. Someone who is kind, considerate and thoughtful is usually going to be able to make up for a lack of knowledge.

Mind you, composite cars with arcane suspension, what's not to talk about?
    You bring up a good point. I feel like manners/ decency is an important part of being a well rounded individual.

What about travels? Wit? Dress?

A Carbon Kevlar monocoque chassis with a sliding pillar front suspension and a rear swing axle would make an interesting car though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Dignity, pride, self respect, courtesy toward others, generosity, the ability to made something good out of something bad, and humility.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

11. Likes Bwana liked this post
    What I do know from elsewhere is the written word doesn't tell you what the other person is reeeeally like.

I'm actually a ****, but I come across as a right darling

13. Likes 93EXCivic liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    You bring up a good point. I feel like manners/ decency is an important part of being a well rounded individual.

What about travels? Wit? Dress?

A Carbon Kevlar monocoque chassis with a sliding pillar front suspension and a rear swing axle would make an interesting car though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess my point is that if a person is basically decent, then everything follows.

As for the car, I don't know, my composite monocoque car uses hydraulically interlinked nitrogen suspension and seems to get the job done.

Person with the lowest surface-to-volume ratio??

John Britten was a well rounded individual - not only could he talk about composite materials and suspension, he designed the stuff himself and then built it too. And while at it, why not design the engine too, build it yourself (even made his own sand-castings) and end up with a competitive racing machine (motorcycle) that gave the multi-million factory teams a run for their money. He died way too young and then his hometown got destroyed a few years ago. If you have an hour or so to spare .....

Okay, I'm a fan and John is one of my several personal heroes. Maybe we should have a thread on those
    IWL member 90