Likes Likes:  77
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal Truths?

Universal Truths?

To me there are a few things that are just completely universally true in the world of watches. I know...I know....its fashion blah blah blah.... but I think we can all agree that:

True dress watches are always on leather, never metal
    True Pilot watches are also on leather only, never metal
    Mesh is for divers only, it is unacceptable on any other watch (looking at you Breitling)

This isnt a personal preference thing...to me it seems these re laws.... What say you? And what other laws can you think of?

Quote Originally Posted by drickster View Post
    ? And what other laws can you think of?

ALWAYS dress on the left ......

......With watches of course !!!!!!!!!!, what were you thinking !!

PS: Actually I'm not 100% sure on the bracelet/dress rule ?..... , I'm just trying to think of a classy dress/bracelet example, I'll come back to you on it

3. Likes drickster liked this post

Mesh is for divers only, it is unacceptable on any other watch (looking at you Breitling)
    Yes
    Yes
    No because

5. Likes Seriously, ljb187, FuzzyB liked this post
    better IMO.. you heathen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Yes
    Yes
    No because

Yes.

Once you're in utilitarian territory, anything goes. Ideally, pilot watches should be paracord bracelets, or at least NATO, if you're giving a nod to history.

But most people today wear their Breitlings with their black suits and loafers, so it's moot.

Yes
    Yes
    and no

Name:  P1040769.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  60.3 KB
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

9. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    I'm going to throw this into the mix as well as a challenge to pilots on leather.

Name:  iwc-pilots-mark-xvi-watch-2.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  176.2 KB
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

11. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    I think another exception to dress watches being on leather is for women. Usually for women, a dress watch is more likely to be on some kind of metal, while leather works better on more casual watches. Fortunately, I do not think women have enshrined rules about watches!
    Last edited by JAGtime; Jan 22, 2015 at 08:30 PM.

13. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    To me there are a few things that are just completely universally true in the world of watches. I know...I know....its fashion blah blah blah.... but I think we can all agree that:

This isnt a personal preference thing...to me it seems these re laws.... What say you? And what other laws can you think of?
    I think true dress watches don't have a seconds hand so once one of those gets added things loosen up a little. I've been lobbying the watch world for a few years to call three-hand dress watches "business watches" without any luck...perhaps now that I've join this international consortium I'll start to make some headway. Also, mesh is one of the spices of watch life - wherever it can be justified it can be worn. I'll probably grant you shark mesh though.

My universal truth is that action watches should have acrylic crystals.

Grand Seiko > Omega > Rolex