Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Purchase: 1967 Sporto

Potential Purchase: 1967 Sporto

This 1967 Sporto Calibre 40 is from County Cork, Ireland, and claims to be all original. The dial looks sharp and crisp, but it could easily be a re-dial. The hands look original. I don't mind a new crystal, but I'm not too keen on re-dials. The case has been polished, which is not in and of itself a bad thing. Mostly, I want untouched on the inside while I'm more flexible (dial, hands, indices, movement) regarding the outside (crystal, polished case) with the exception of the crown; I prefer an original crown. I think this could be a winner, but I need your alls help.

I like how this looks, but I'm not expert. Thoughts, comments?

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Oo, nice watch!
    Have you got any more pics, so we can really scope out that dial?
    Yes, redials aren't my cup of tea either :-)
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Sorry, just clicked on the image description and got a second pic
    Will give it a serious look
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

4. Likes hayday liked this post
    All I know is what it says on eBay. My gut reaction is re-dial, but it could be original and just well cared for & cleaned up. That said, the crystal looks new but the description says original so it's possible the watch was stored in a sock in someone's drawer so it never saw any real exposure to the elements. One concern is that no one has bid on it. The starting price is a little high to start, but I'm surprised that no one has made a bid. A bit concerning, but also a bit of a relief.

This is a serious contender for my credit card.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Look at the seller's other items. I'm only on my phone so I can't look at photos properly, but I notice (a) an awful lot of Glashutte Spezimatics, a very fashionable vintage watch (b) the watches all seem to have dials in good condition.

sorry I meant to look on my laptop earlier today, so I can't follow up my suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Look at the seller's other items. I'm only on my phone so I can't look at photos properly, but I notice (a) an awful lot of Glashutte Spezimatics, a very fashionable vintage watch (b) the watches all seem to have dials in good condition.

sorry I meant to look on my laptop earlier today, so I can't follow up my suspicions.

DAMNIT! I don't know whether to thank you or curse you. That said, check out the seconds hand as there seems to be some wear on the dial at this point. Is it possible the crystal was removed and the dial was cleaned but not repainted? Or, the dial may have been repainted/refurbished but not very well.

You seem to be right to suspect things based upon his other watches. For all those vintage watches, I would think a few would have crappy dials. Not a one, not even his Russian watches which tend to be thoroughly abused. Methinks he's tinkering with the dials, which is not horrible if he's simply cleaning them; not interested in repainted dials, though.

I'm going to contact him and ask about this. If he's hiding something, his reaction should reveal more than his answer.

-hayday

Well, my people are from County Down - but that's a nice looking watch. would you feel better about it if *I* were to make a bid?
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    Well, my people are from County Down - but that's a nice looking watch. would you feel better about it if *I* were to make a bid?
    I'd only feel bad if the watch is legit and I criticized your people in any way for suspecting it wasn't, and/or you won the watch but wouldn't let me have it! Given other things going on in my life right now- family trip later this month, just bought new tires (sorry, tyres) for the car, dog trip to the vet for various ailments (she's ok, just expensive at the moment), trip with just the wife later this summer- I may not be buying anything but new straps for a while.

I attempted to contact the seller through eBay last night but have not yet heard back. Not surprising given the six-hour time difference between us. I essentially asked if the dial had been cleaned up or repainted. I told him I wasn't much interested in a repainted dial and wanted some verification that nothing had been done to the dial. I all but point-blank asked him to prove/guarantee the watch was indeed original. I'll keep you all posted any any developments.

It's a nice looking watch. The case and hands appear to be original and just cleaned/polished, and the movement could be original, too. Or, the movement could be cobbled together like Frankenstein. There is the very real chance that it is a Frankenwatch, which is not a bad thing when the seller states it upfront and the buyer knows what is being sold. Dunno about this one, could go either way.

Like I said, I'l keep you all posted.

-hayday

10. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Tough call. The back certainly seems to have been overly buffed. The movement looks used but good. A serial number would help on the frankenwatch decision. I am undecided on the dial. It certainly looks like it has had some use. Had it been truly pristine it would be a flag.

I'd be curious if the seller gets back to you...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Tough call. ..I'd be curious if the seller gets back to you...

Dan

I'm curious about that myself as the auction expires at 6a local time and I haven't heard back. Not expecting to hear from him at this point since it's about 1a in Ireland. I'm leaning toward passing on it, but I really don't want to.

-hayday