Likes Likes:  52

Thread: Breitling Colt SQ

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
    But, after looking at every one in the shop, not one had a second hand that was hitting the markers. I was very surprised and disappointed. Perhaps I was unlucky, but at around £2k it was a deal breaker for me.

Let me check...

One minute later... no, this one doesn’t either. And actually, I wouldn’t expect it to. It’s only in fairly recent years that some high end quartz movements have had additional mechanisms to control backlash.

With a standard quartz movement (even a high accuracy one), it’s unlikely that the hand will hit all the markers. Paradoxically, some cheaper quartz movements hit the markers because they have tight movements - which shortens their life.

It wasn’t something I checked for with this watch. More important were a good bezel mechanism and a decent amount of thread on the screw-down crown.

2. Likes iyonk, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Let me check...

One minute later... no, this one doesn’t either. And actually, I wouldn’t expect it to. It’s only in fairly recent years that some high end quartz movements have had additional mechanisms to control backlash.

With a standard quartz movement (even a high accuracy one), it’s unlikely that the hand will hit all the markers. Paradoxically, some cheaper quartz movements hit the markers because they have tight movements - which shortens their life.

It wasn’t something I checked for with this watch. More important were a good bezel mechanism and a decent amount of thread on the screw-down crown.
    Yeah, I think I let these things bother me more than I should sometimes.

After a service my Sub's bezel was a fraction of a mm from lining up with the minute markers. It drove me nuts and I made them change it, even though in reality it doesn't matter as it should be aligned to the hand's position (which is more than likely not going to be spot on a marker when you use it)
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

4. Likes iyonk liked this post