Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 Seiko Skyliner 6100-8000

1968 Seiko Skyliner 6100-8000

Finally I've got watch, new strap and decent daylight at the same place at the same time

Details about movement, where this model fitted into the Seiko range in the 60s etc to follow - right now I'm just thrilled to get a couple of decent photos at all!

Name:  sl8.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  sl9.JPG
Views: 702
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  sl10.JPG
Views: 759
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  sl11.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  sl12.JPG
Views: 731
Size:  39.6 KB

Looks like it's in great shape. Congrats on the new addition.

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Some more photos....

Name:  sl13.JPG
Views: 679
Size:  25.6 KB

Name:  sl14.JPG
Views: 675
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  sl15.JPG
Views: 689
Size:  33.1 KB

At last I realised why the logo so often doesn't look very sharp in the photos: its not sitting on the surface of the dial, but is slightly held up in the air:

Name:  sl16.JPG
Views: 672
Size:  40.8 KB

Never seen that before!

Finally, here's a not very good picture which at least allows you to see how thinly tapered the edge of the case is:

Name:  sl17.JPG
Views: 712
Size:  42.4 KB
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 7, 2015 at 03:11 PM.

5. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    Very nice Ric i shall look forward to seeing it . DW.
    Last edited by DJW GB; Jan 7, 2015 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJW GB View Post
    Very nice Ric i shall look forward to seeing it . DW.
    NOT. FOR. SALE.

8. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    Beautiful!!! very sweet looking seiko =)

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    Beautiful!!! very sweet looking seiko =)
    This comment says so much about my taste in watches: I was thinking how strong and masculine it looked comparison with some of my other watches...

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Looks like it's in great shape. Congrats on the new addition.
    The Skyliner was definitely several rungs down the Seiko ladder in the 1960s, and I've paid a lot less for Seikos of the same era - pretty sure that what I've paid for is the condition, and the condition is making me very happy

From this wonderful Seiko Branding Dictionary:

Skyliner: (Sub-brand) - A line of Manual watches made in various styles, from classic dress watches to more edgy designs later on, offered during the 1960’s. The Skyliner sub-brand was introduced in 1961 using the 402 caliber. This particular Skyliner is a no-nonsense hand-windable dress watch without date. At the time, the Skyliner sub-brand was positioned as a cheaper alternative to the Liner sub-brand, with Skyliners priced at around �6,000 and Liners at around �7,500, which was in the medium range of Seiko at the time. The Liner sub-brand also had a broader range with both 21j and 23j calibers and 14K gold cases. The 402 caliber is also a simplification and continuation of the Liner 3140 caliber from 1960. The Skyliner brand was also used in the mid 60s on a few 62XX watches with a quite modern design and in the late 60s on dress watches with the 61XX caliber.
    So, kind of SARB-y for its day

Blog Entries
    Very sharp looking watch. It is one of the reasons why vintage is so appealing. Many brands were able to pull off that attractive look.

Thank you for sharing!

Dan

14. Likes Der Amf liked this post