Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Snowstorm

Blog Entries

First Snowstorm

We live in Eastern Ontario now - almost directly north of Syracuse NY. This location brings us close enough to the Eastern Seaboard that we can sometimes be affected by Nor'easters. We will always be on the western side of them (cold side) so if they happen to approach us closely enough we can get snow from them. This is one of those times where we expect about 6 inches (15 cm) or more of snow from so-called winter storm Damon.
    This is an unusual thing - only the most eastern part of Ontario will be affected this time. Our normal big snowfalls are caused by Colorado or Texas lows working in here. But snow is snow; I got the snowblower ready.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

2. Likes Bwana liked this post
    We have our 3rd snowfall today, first over 6 inches this season, still coming down hard and predicted to keep snowing until at least Wednesday evening.

Some mixing with sleet at times and other times big puffy snowflakes.

Since this thread needs pics, here is my snowflake collection

Last edited by Yankeexpress; Dec 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM.

4. Likes RayMac liked this post
    Snow to hit here tomorrow night, time to head in the woods looking for deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post

careful buddy -might come across an angry Panda

7. Likes Bwana, Der Amf, jsw41 liked this post
    ... time to head in the woods looking for deer.
    Dirty boy Name:  Spank.gif
Views: 119
Size:  729 Bytes

Don't forget the Name:  p0701.gif
Views: 104
Size:  606 Bytes

9. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Ahh, snow, Christmas, venison. Good hunting.
    Name:  christmas-win.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  53.7 KB

11. Likes Bwana, bajachild, Nokie liked this post
    When we moved from New Jersey to Texas abut 8-1/2 years ago we never realized the ice storms that happen here. Granted snow storms are extremely light and there was only 1 of note in my time here (about a foot of snow) but the Dallas area is ill equipped to clear roads. Because of this we typically get 1 or 2 ice storms during the winter that cripple the whole city. Unfortunately my development is in an unincorporated city so we really get nothing done about it and we've been trapped in our home for up to 4 days since it's too icy to even get down our driveway. Last year I chipped up a piece of ice from our driveway and it was over 1" thick and this was thinner than what was on the road. During that storm I took this picture.

This was on our lawn and it was so thick that I didn't break through the ice onto the grass.

13. Likes Seriously liked this post
    I'll take 12" of snow over ice any day.

15. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    I love the snow and I actually miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I love the snow and I actually miss it.
    Me too. I don't miss blizzards with over 20" but I do miss a nice snowfall in the evening. The sound of heavy snowflakes hitting the yard. The pure white untouched landscape before the snow stops and people head out to shovel. To me it always felt purifying in NYC. It turns the dirty gritty streets and sidewalks of Manhattan briefly into something clean and smooth.