Likes Likes:  116
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: From Zungu to Zhufeng S, my next step with Beijing

From Zungu to Zhufeng S, my next step with Beijing

While being away travelling for a few days, I have had the space to let a few thoughts sort themselves out, and have decided buy myself this, the Beijing Zhufeng S.

I've had a Beijing Zungu automatic for the last year and have been very impressed by it.

The dial is delightful, the quality of the construction seems to me to be a solid step up from Seagull, and the Miyota-derived movement has proved to be remarkably accurate: over four days of continuous wear only losing two seconds in total. I figure I got lucky to a degree, but still

This is the third Zhufeng model I'm aware of. The first two were very similar, very dressy watches - the first one had all sixty minutes marked with applied markers, twelve applied numerals, dainty hands.

This version takes the traditional Bauhaus design, and places it on a two piece dial. These photos I've included are pretty much the only ones available online, drawn from Amazon.cn and good-stuffs. The 38.5mm case looks very similar to the previous Zhufengs but there are couple of little changes, the lugs are now 20mm not 21mm.

The movement is the B18 (also called the SB18 for reasons I can't pretend to know) a manual movement that seems to be their premier movement. It's reputation isn't uniform, but it's both pretty and capable of great accuracy.

I suppose flipping a watch you've been happy with is a risk, but I've enough confidence in Beijing that I feel it to be a low enough risk. I've plenty of other sunburst dials, so I'll be adding variety to my rotation. The shift from auto to manual, and to a thinner bezel and smaller case will be in line with my general preferences.

I've had a watch with the Bauhaus dial before and it wasn't the essential design I tired of, but rather the cheap afterthought of a logo, and the flaws in execution. I remember finding it a very daytime design, and will be putting it on a smooth dark brown strap made of soft leather. Unlike the much-copied Tangente the Zhufeng case has curves on the bezel and the lugs and genuine physical depth to the dial. Hopefully I'll find enough interest in it to make me as happy as the Zungu has made me. Other Beijing models with seemingly plain textures apparently have depth to them, so hopefully that will be the case here. Fingers crossed!

All these photos have a blue "12" but I'll be taking this option:

My tiny 1920s watch has a red "12" and I find it veryyy cute.
    Last edited by Der Amf; Aug 28, 2015 at 10:46 AM.

Good looking watches! I had the Everest 2 and while it was a beautiful watch (and wonderful bracelet), I just didn't bond with it. So now, there's another WIS out there that's enjoying a gently used Beijing.

The manual movement is nice looking and seems well made. I liked the dial work as well.

Finally, I'm not sure, but I think your pictures were at least partially responsible for me buying one. Great pictures!

3. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Will be interesting to hear what you think once it arrives. This is one of the nicer bauhaus interpretations in my opinion, much thanks to the depth added to the dial with the lowered center and sub seconds. Also much prefer these rounded lugs to to very sharp edges of the others.

Seems Beijing has done a nice job updating the case. Always had a few reservations of the old Zhufeng but this is more to my liking.

Hope it can replace the zungu. It certainly is a bit more different to your other watches.

The red 12 gives it some snap. I can see you being very happy with that.

What was the price?

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Good looking watches! I had the Everest 2 and while it was a beautiful watch (and wonderful bracelet), I just didn't bond with it. So now, there's another WIS out there that's enjoying a gently used Beijing.

The manual movement is nice looking and seems well made. I liked the dial work as well.

Finally, I'm not sure, but I think your pictures were at least partially responsible for me buying one. Great pictures!
    Quite a lot of the Beijing designs are a bit frilly for me. I was kinda tempted by the original Zhufeng but when they changed to the Everest 2 that was the end of that - the combination of black dots and silver blobs looked a bit confused to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Will be interesting to hear what you think once it arrives. This is one of the nicer bauhaus interpretations in my opinion, much thanks to the depth added to the dial with the lowered center and sub seconds. Also much prefer these rounded lugs to to very sharp edges of the others.

Seems Beijing has done a nice job updating the case. Always had a few reservations of the old Zhufeng but this is more to my liking.

Hope it can replace the zungu. It certainly is a bit more different to your other watches.
    Once I worked out what my favourite thing was in a watch I ended up with eight pretty much identical watches Have been slowly expanding since. Let's see if I've got this choice right!
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    The red 12 gives it some snap. I can see you being very happy with that.

What was the price?
    Good stuffs sells both this and the dressy Zhufeng for about $350. The BeiHai is the other side of $500. Given they've all got the same movement and the other Zhufeng comes with a bracelet, I guess that's the bargain of the three. This one, though, is the one I want

7. Likes meijlinder, JAGtime, rfortson, iyonk liked this post
    Nice dials, and I too like the red accent color.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

That is absolutely stunning. You always had good taste. May you run it in good health.

Let me know when you grow tired of it.

10. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Very impressive looking - and sounding!

Funny that the Chinese are "going Bauhaus".

The only thing that catchesmy attention is the relative emptiness of the dial around the 6:00 index. Needs "Chinese Made" or the like.

Blog Entries
    I really like this Bauhaus interpretation, and I have been very tempted by this watch, as I have yet to own a Beijing and I would love to have one of their nicer hand-winds. My only reservation has been... well, I have too many watches already. I suspect, if they make something with this movement, sub-seconds and no date, same case, but with a unique dial that really catches my eye, then I'll be hooked like a shark on chum.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

13. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    That's very nice, DA, looking forward to seeing your pics and heating your thoughts when it arrives. The case looks lovely and I like the way they've done the dial, it's bauhaus while still having an identity of its own (not just a slavish copy of more famous Western brands).

15. Likes Der Amf liked this post