Likes Likes:  54
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Arrival - GMT Master II BLNR

New Arrival - GMT Master II BLNR

So today I picked up what really ought to be my final purchase for this year! I wasn't even 100% convinced I was going to get anything today as I was browsing through the gigantic Dubai Mall but after some window shopping and some chit chat with the associates at the Lange and GO boutiques, I ended up inside Rolex and I came across the BLNR and the Polar Explorer II together in the metal for the first time. This finally helped me make up my mind as I had been going back and forth between them for quite a while.

While I love the casual look of the white explorer with orange hand, the GMT like the Daytona seems suitable for a wider range of dress styles from casual to quite smart. That said considering I have a few different watches for different occasions, the versatility probably isn't the biggest concern. In the end what really did it for me was the blue and black Cerachrome bezel. It is often the case in these kind of posts for the writer to say that pictures can't quite do it justice and this is again the case here.

The way the blue section interacts with light was very interesting and definitely different to other materials. Every now and then it takes on surprisingly vibrant hues when it catches the light just so as well but the overall effect is a nice balance between subtle and interesting. On the other hand in dim light, the blue part appears quite dark

I think I managed to capture some of that essence in this picture below

Comfort on the wrist is exceptional and I should just copy paste my ravings about the modern oyster bracelet from my Daytona review.

Group shot with the watches I have with me on the road today. (Note the synchronised running seconds hands on the first 3 and the renegade non hacking Breguet )

I do hope this has cured me of the modern Rolex bug for a couple of years although I get the feeling the white Explorer II that missed the cut might come back to haunt me at some point
    Anyway I might do a longer full review post a few days from now
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

My favorite modern Rolex out .Congrats.You have a fantastic collection already & add this in2 the mix &
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

4. Likes tempocalypse, JAGtime liked this post
    Beautiful collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    beautiful watch -but wonder why one would' travel' with so many beautiful [and expensive ]watches ?

8. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Wonderful pickup, my favorite of the Rolex GMT models for exactly the reasons you've stated. Although, if I get another Rolex, I'm interested in the platinum dial Yachtmaster.

Now, what about a nice simple dress watch. Methinks you need a classy VC or something similar to round out your collection.

10. Likes tempocalypse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post
    My favorite modern Rolex out .Congrats.You have a fantastic collection already & add this in2 the mix &
    Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    Beautiful collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    beautiful watch -but wonder why one would' travel' with so many beautiful [and expensive ]watches ?
    Thanks! About your question, generally when travelling to safe and familiar locations (mainly Dubai and Singapore) I take along whichever watches I feel like without too much regard for risk (as I've deemed it low).

Also in this case the Daytona was a stowaway as I didn't realise it was still in my camera bag from the previous trip from a week ago! I guess that surprise plus the not entirely planned new addition of the GMT makes a quartet of rather high end watches which is more than I would normally travel with.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Wonderful pickup, my favorite of the Rolex GMT models for exactly the reasons you've stated. Although, if I get another Rolex, I'm interested in the platinum dial Yachtmaster.

Now, what about a nice simple dress watch. Methinks you need a classy VC or something similar to round out your collection.
    Cheers mlcor! I think for my next high end piece I am still thinking about the 1st Gen Datograph. Honestly I am undecided between various dress 3 handers and its not a high priority yet. The VC you have is in that bracket for sure though!
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

12. Likes mlcor liked this post
    That choice makes perfect sense.

Your collection already had plenty of - high quality - options but, even taking that into consideration, the BLNR is not redundant.

Beautiful watch; enjoy.

14. Likes tempocalypse, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    That choice makes perfect sense.

Your collection already had plenty of - high quality - options but, even taking that into consideration, the BLNR is not redundant.

Beautiful watch; enjoy.
    Since when has redundancy ever affected a WIS? We can easily point to differences between almost any two watches that makes them a snap to differentiate.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Since when has redundancy ever affected a WIS? We can easily point to differences between almost any two watches that makes them a snap to differentiate.
    And of course, you're right. This is the WIS-world. What was I thinking?!

17. Likes mlcor, iyonk, tempocalypse, JAGtime liked this post