Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time having my watch recognized!

First time having my watch recognized!

Used to hang out over in WUS, and decided to register today to share this experience today.

My client came in to the office today, and we were doing some small talk while waiting for the rest of the participants to arrive. Suddenly the guy asked if I was wearing a Jaeger. Caught me off guard a little as I did not expect it at all. Not only that I was not wearing a mainstream brand (e.g., Rolex, Omega, Tag, etc.), my JLC wasn't even an iconic one. How rare is that to have someone recognizing it?

Turned out he is a watch guy himself. Originally from Switzerland (that's why!), he told me he also has a JLC Deep Sea. Would love to go into a deep watch discussion with him if my coworker wasn't there I was a bit embarrassed from the fact that I couldn't recognize his watch. It's a small watch by today's standard (about 36mm), black face, with very thin black diver bezel. The crystal is raised quite a bit from the bezel. He wore it on a NATO. Any ideas?

2. Likes Colin, popoki nui, Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    ...It's a small watch by today's standard (about 36mm), black face, with very thin black diver bezel. The crystal is raised quite a bit from the bezel. He wore it on a NATO. Any ideas?
    No but, apart from the size, it sounds interesting.

4. Likes dak liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    No but, apart from the size, it sounds interesting.
    It does look good, sporty, yet subtle and understated.

Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Used to hang out over in WUS, and decided to register today to share this experience today.

My client came in to the office today, and we were doing some small talk while waiting for the rest of the participants to arrive. Suddenly the guy asked if I was wearing a Jaeger. Caught me off guard a little as I did not expect it at all. Not only that I was not wearing a mainstream brand (e.g., Rolex, Omega, Tag, etc.), my JLC wasn't even an iconic one. How rare is that to have someone recognizing it?

Turned out he is a watch guy himself. Originally from Switzerland (that's why!), he told me he also has a JLC Deep Sea. Would love to go into a deep watch discussion with him if my coworker wasn't there I was a bit embarrassed from the fact that I couldn't recognize his watch. It's a small watch by today's standard (about 36mm), black face, with very thin black diver bezel. The crystal is raised quite a bit from the bezel. He wore it on a NATO. Any ideas?
    I'm 100% he would have been delighted to tell you if you had asked

7. Likes Bwana, dak, rfortson, ilitig8 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm 100% he would have been delighted to tell you if you had asked
    I think so too, I will probably ask next time I see him. Like is said above, unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to go into the watch discussion too much this time around.

9. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Others are out there!

He has a good eye, as you said, not a jlc that you see all the time!

11. Likes dak liked this post
    I have had a few clients who were into their watches. Always makes for good post dinner, relaxed drinking conversations.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

13. Likes dak, -JP liked this post
    have you got cctv on your premises ? play it back oh! and welcome

15. Likes dak liked this post
    To be fair, if you're half interested in watches, the twist crown lock/guards are pretty identifiable.

17. Likes dak liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    To be fair, if you're half interested in watches, the twist crown lock/guards are pretty identifiable.
    to be a fair ,if you read the OP post -he said the guy confessed to owning a DS -not necessarily was wearing it hence maybe why he didn't recognise it

19. Likes Bwana, dak, Ryan liked this post