Likes Likes:  50
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A comet for you.

A comet for you.

This is Comet Lovejoy, (C/2014 Q2), imaged tonight from my home. It's well into the wee hours; I'm taking advantage of the first clear night here in a while, and thought I'd share this lovely interplanetary visitor with you.
    I love comets. They're beautiful, but they're also interesting to study. They originate way, way out at the edge or our solar system, and are pristine remnants of the formation of the system we call home. Thus, they can tell us a lot about how the Earth, and the other planets formed.

But, they are just so pretty to look at, too. (the stars look like streaks because the comet is moving so quickly across the sky)

You can see Comet Lovejoy, too; it's a lovely sight right now in binoculars. Here's a link to a finder chart. Go out and have a look on the next clear night!
    http://earthsky.org/space/watch-for-comet-lovejoy

Have fun!
    PS- you may have to adjust your screen brightness and/ or contrast to see the comet 's faint tail.

~Sherry.
    Last edited by popoki nui; Jan 14, 2015 at 08:53 AM.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Awesome!

3. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    lost in translation birdynamnam's Avatar
    Blue dial....
    Bluetiful

Many thx to share this beauty with us
    "chirp, chirp"

5. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    That's really cool Sherry. What did you use to photograph it?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

7. Likes popoki nui liked this post

9. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    that's pretty cool.....

11. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post

This is Comet Lovejoy, (C/2014 Q2), imaged tonight from my home. It's well into the wee hours; I'm taking advantage of the first clear night here in a while, and thought I'd share this lovely interplanetary visitor with you.
    I love comets. They're beautiful, but they're also interesting to study. They originate way, way out at the edge or our solar system, and are pristine remnants of the formation of the system we call home. Thus, they can tell us a lot about how the Earth, and the other planets formed.

But, they are just so pretty to look at, too. (the stars look like streaks because the comet is moving so quickly across the sky)

You can see Comet Lovejoy, too; it's a lovely sight right now in binoculars. Here's a link to a finder chart. Go out and have a look on the next clear night!
    http://earthsky.org/space/watch-for-comet-lovejoy

Have fun!
    PS- you may have to adjust your screen brightness and/ or contrast to see the comet 's faint tail.

~Sherry.
    Sherry,

That is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing that photo and the story of the comet with us.

Jane

13. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    That's really cool Sherry. What did you use to photograph it?
    I used a William Optics Megrez 90 telescope on an HEQ5 mount. My camera is just a regular Canon T3i. The exposure was just a single 5-minute shot, guided on the comet's nucleus, with a little processing in Photoshop to bring out the tail (which seems to have mostly disappeared after uploading it here).

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

15. Likes is that my watch, geoffbot liked this post
    Wow.. that's a great photo!

Sent from my GT-I9505

17. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I used a William Optics Megrez 90 telescope on an HEQ5 mount. My camera is just a regular Canon T3i. The exposure was just a single 5-minute shot, guided on the comet's nucleus, with a little processing in Photoshop to bring out the tail (which seems to have mostly disappeared after uploading it here).

~Sherry.
    My camera knowledge is limited. Not an iPhone then basically?!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague