Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medicare Enrollment

Blog Entries

Post Medicare Enrollment

So my mom is now eligible for Medicare and asked me to help het out with the enrollment process. I know nothing about healthcare. At work, I would just ask someone what they did with their insurance and then usually do the same if they had a good reason for choosing that plan.

I was wondering if any of you know anything about Medicare or could offer any advice on how to choose a plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Is Medicare a form of private health insurance or a national health care system?

I have private health insurance at work but I've paid into the plan for my elderly mother.

Pensioners, here in Ireland, get a 'medical card' which covers GP visits, medications and in and out patient hospital visits.

Having private health insurance cuts the waiting times for my Mother. So a plan that gets quick access to consultants and scans is what I chose?

Sent from my GT-I9505
    Last edited by pepperami; Jan 5, 2015 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    Is Medicare a form of private health insurance or a national health care system?

I have private health insurance at work but I've paid into the plan for my elderly mother.

Pensioners, here in Ireland, get a 'medical card' which covers GP visits, medications and in and out patient hospital visits.

Having private health insurance cuts the waiting times for my Mother. So a plan that's gets quick access to consultants and scans is what I chose?

Sent from my GT-I9505
    I think it's basically a federal insurance plan (or at least federally subsidized), for older people.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I think it's basically a federal insurance plan (or at least federally subsidized), for older people.
    Oh ok so it must be similar to the medical card system we have in Ireland.
    You have to pay for this Medicare?

Sent from my GT-I9505

Blog Entries

Sent from my GT-I9505
    Yes. It's cheap though.

7. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    So my mom is now eligible for Medicare and asked me to help het out with the enrollment process. I know nothing about healthcare. At work, I would just ask someone what they did with their insurance and then usually do the same if they had a good reason for choosing that plan.

I was wondering if any of you know anything about Medicare or could offer any advice on how to choose a plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Raza,

If you go to the Medicare site, it is very helpful. It is also where you sign up for everything. When one turns 65, they are automatically enrolled in Part A (hospital insurance), which doesn't have any costs attached. Part B is insurance for doctor visits. Though the monthly premium is small, it is recommended that one gets "supplemental Insurance," which covers almost all premiums and deductibles. You can find out about supplemental plans on the AARP website. Finally, one has to choose a prescription plan, Part D. The Medicare site has a program for you to put in what drugs you predominantly take and then you can choose the best plan for your Mom. The total for everything is then about $300 per month. If you go to an Advantage Plan (Part C), it is generally cheaper, run more like an HMO and it includes prescription coverage. I personally am not a big fan of the Advantage Plans, but they tend to cost the least per month.

Jane

9. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGtime View Post
    Raza,

If you go to the Medicare site, it is very helpful. It is also where you sign up for everything. When one turns 65, they are automatically enrolled in Part A (hospital insurance), which doesn't have any costs attached. Part B is insurance for doctor visits. Though the monthly premium is small, it is recommended that one gets "supplemental Insurance," which covers almost all premiums and deductibles. You can find out about supplemental plans on the AARP website. Finally, one has to choose a prescription plan, Part D. The Medicare site has a program for you to put in what drugs you predominantly take and then you can choose the best plan for your Mom. The total for everything is then about $300 per month. If you go to an Advantage Plan (Part C), it is generally cheaper, run more like an HMO and it includes prescription coverage. I personally am not a big fan of the Advantage Plans, but they tend to cost the least per month.

Jane
    Thanks so much, Jane! I'll take a look at that. The different "parts" were particularly confusing to me.

11. Likes JAGtime liked this post

Sent from my GT-I9505
    You pay Medicare taxes on every paycheck. It's definitely not free.

Medicaid is what you get if you didn't pay enough for Medicare, as I understand it.

I'm sure it will all be gone by the time I've paid for it and am ready to retire.

13. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Agree with Jane. Advantage Plans are not always the best choice, but in the long term they tend to be the most consistent method of keeping monthly payments somewhat manageable and stable.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

The "donut hole" seems to be the problem most elderly face, look your options over carefully.