Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **** The Holy grail of military watches ****

**** The Holy grail of military watches ****

well was looking for a movement for one of the much hated mwc g10 one of the very early ones they did been sitting in my bit's box for years I strip out the faulty movement ready to replace but never got round to it ( I have a few like this) but in the mean time have lost all the faulty movement's I had bag and tagged them for when I got round to replacing them I would know what I needed.

Anyway was trying to work out what one I need and how much it would cost ( turn's out it's a ronda 715 so about a tenner but still not sure they have it right and is it worth a tenner punt on the movement if not I am not sure ) so happen onto old thread about military watches in general when this line caught my eye.

"I already own the Holy grail of military watches, a Submariner so I didn't see the point of a GSAR either"

But is that really the holy grail in terms of a military watch to me no it seems ( could be me here but it gets force as the holy grail of a lot of different titles just because it's a rolex so you must want one and if you don't their is simple something wrong with you or you simple can't be a true wis without one- just my take guys )

Yes it has important aspect to do with how and where the military watch came from and went. but would have thought the w10/g10 would be more the grail of a military watch sort ? .

Whats your take and what is your mil grail ?

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes gnuyork, Greg liked this post
    The Submariner isn’t a military watch. The MilSub clearly is, and if that’s what he meant then I can understand it being his personal grail. The G10 is too commonplace to be a grail, I would have thought.

The IWC/JLC Mk 11 would be my candidate for ‘most admired’, if that’s an equivalent to ‘grail’.

Generally, I would be wary of narrow perspectives. I favour twentieth century British MoD watches because I’m British and twentieth century. Somebody else could favour Kriegsmarine or Luftwaffe watches, or World War I watches. Somebody might want to track down the watches said to have been used in the Boer War.

4. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    yeah I don't really do grail's as such I like and wear a cwc . have got a pulsar too but better lume then a cwc but still cwc just gets me, I also like and would love a w10 but thats something different thou it would be to me safeguarding a bit of history would not be comfortable wearing it in case of damaged and parts replacement .

but yes country has a lot to do with it as do like some early hammiltons and benrus I think I like the idea more then anything maybe . because it is so hard to clarify military watches these days
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

I don't know much of the history of military watches, but I think of the Milsub as a holy grail watch... and I think it was used in the military, no?... MOD?

Anyway, that Smiths sure is a sweet looking watch too, and probably more military...

well as I hinted at and as alan said milsub yes the submariner no but it does get complicated as I say love the mill idea but you have to do a lot of research on all it's aspects that for some can be to much give's me a headache sometimes. so tend to look to alan /matt and others for help on info and facts side of it

but yes for me you can't get anymore iconic then a smiths W10
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes CFR liked this post
    You certainly need to be cautious on eBay. All kinds of things tagged ‘military’ there.

I have a friend who makes a healthy amount of money as a part-time watch dealer. I once told him that one watch he had for sale wasn’t actually military, as he had described it. He agreed, but said that adding ‘military’ meant more internet views. Knowledgeable people weren’t his intended market, apparently. I did once persuade him to drop ‘Dirty Dozen’ from one description, but that’s been my only success.
    Last edited by tribe125; Jul 30, 2019 at 03:49 PM.

10. Likes CFR, is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    it does get complicated as I say love the mill idea but you have to do a lot of research on all it's aspects that for some can be to much give's me a headache sometimes.
    Exactly.

As anything History related, a rational system must be established in order to get a consensual coherence.

1. A specific time frame with meaningful boundaries;
    2. A well defined geographic (political and/or social) area.
    3. A particular group - pilot, diver,...etc

A 'grail' would be described as: a specific watch within a particular group, worn during a certain time frame over a defined geographic area by a political/ anthropological/ social group. Failing to do so, we're reduced to mere opinions or basic speculation - the most common form of internet 'knowledge'.

So, yes. Not easy, but probably worth it.

P.S.: My military grail watch would be a particular Longines pocket watch from 1910. I can't explain why, because that would lead to political considerations out of context on a watch Forum.
    Last edited by CFR; Jul 30, 2019 at 03:54 PM.

12. Likes is that my watch, Matt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    You certainly need to be cautious on eBay. All kinds of things tagged ‘military’ there.

I have a friend who makes a healthy amount of money as a part-time watch dealer. I once told him that one watch he had for sale wasn’t actually military, as he had described it. He agreed, but said that adding ‘military’ meant more internet views. Knowledgeable people weren’t his intended market, apparently. I did once persuade him to drop ‘Dirty Dozen’ from one description, but that’s been my only success.
    yes when looking for that movement found an ebay sale that was totally b.s if I had seen it when live would have had to say something it was a complete rip off

yes here it is ...https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G10-98-Mi...p2047675.l2557

G10/98 Military Issue Wristwatch

This was my late fathers military issue watch from his days in the Royal Engineers.
    The watch comes with 3 straps as pictured, black strap is used but the olive & royal engineer colour ones are brand new & never used.

The engravings on the rear say the following:

MOD: G10/98
    MIL-3726-9502D
    G10SL MAI 2006

There are a few minor surface scratches to the watch face, but other than that is in a good used condition.
    A new battery will be required though.
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jul 30, 2019 at 03:59 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Exactly.

As anything History related, a rational system must be established in order to get a consensual coherence.

1. A specific time frame with meaningful boundaries;
    2. A well defined geographic (political and/or social) area.
    3. A particular group - pilot, diver,...etc

A 'grail' would be described as: a specific watch within a particular group, worn during a certain time frame over a defined geographic area by a political/ anthropological/ social group. Failing to do so, we're reduced to mere opinions or basic speculation - the most common form of internet 'knowledge'.

So, yes. Not easy, but probably worth it.
    say what

but yes your right
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

15. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    say what

but yes your right
    Sorry, Ismy. I'm an historian - guess my dark side went a bit wild.
    Last edited by CFR; Jul 30, 2019 at 04:00 PM.